Calipers

Started by Scattergun2570, January 22, 2018, 05:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I have seen a 6" Digital Caliper suggested on the board..but I don`t recall seeing a brand suggestion. What is the least expensive caliper I can go with that will do the job?

oc1

From what I can tell, they are all pretty accurate but they do not last very long.  A forty dollar pair does not seem to last any longer than a ten dollar pair .  The pre-digital dial calipers will last much longer but are not more accurate.  The calipers with the Vernier scale would probably last a life time but they are no more accurate and are difficult to read.  Micrometers last forever but are even harder to read.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

I have used one of these - for a few $ more they are stainless and pretty accurate:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QYJC5M/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B072QYJC5M&pd_rd_wg=pYCWD&pd_rd_r=75C3XTFSZM3N55GFS2PA&pd_rd_w=VY4Bl

Although I have used one of those my current calipers are made by Kamasa - whilst not top drawer they are tough and accurate :)

You don't need to go to extremes for reel work and general diy ;)

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gobi King

I reload ammo, and I have el cheapo harbor freight < $10 calipers and Japanese made one, they work fine, the cheap ones are battery hogs though, I take out the battery when I store them.

They are all pretty accurate, but I check calibration with  known dia bullets. Make sure you set zero.

The better brands are nice, they go on sale few times  a year. I have 2 as my girls sometime help and I give them the cheap one to play with.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Bryan Young

Cheap harbor freight works fine.  Haven't had a problem yet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel 224

I have a set of Sterrett Calipers that use for my gun work and I have cheaper set with dial and find that works well for reel a rod. If your doing machine work then that's a different story. I would look at the set that Tiddlerbasher mentioned.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 22, 2018, 02:53:24 PM
I have a set of Sterrett Calipers that use for my gun work and I have cheaper set with dial and find that works well for reel a rod. If your doing machine work then that's a different story. I would look at the set that Tiddlerbasher mentioned.

Joe

My Sterrett quit working when it had a large gearbox set in it.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on January 22, 2018, 03:33:00 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on January 22, 2018, 02:53:24 PM

Joe

My Sterrett quit working when it had a large gearbox set in it.  

That will do it...... ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

happyhooker

Got an old Lufkin 0-1" mike to measure rod blank diameters, small shaft diameters, spring wire diameters, etc.; beautiful classic tool that matches up to work on my old rods & reels.  Accurate as the day it was made dozens and dozens of years ago. Made in USA, of course.

Frank

Alto Mare

I will usually use the $15 calipers, but had to purchase Mitutoyo caliper and micrometer for some of the stuff I was doing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 22, 2018, 02:32:05 PM
Cheap harbor freight works fine.  Haven't had a problem yet.

for reel work and rod repair this is all you need.
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Yep! for basic reel repair those will do just fine, But, when someone that depends on your opinion and has to sign off on a $15000 order and asks you if you are sure about the dimension on the changes, that's when a better caliper come in handy.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.