Gift for my son

Started by Gfish, January 22, 2018, 06:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Thinkin 'bout getting a vintage boat rod for my son to go along with the penn Long Beach 60(30 lb. set-up)I got for him( thank you Wally15!).He goes out for Pac. coast bottom fishing & salmon trolling several times /year. Like to get his name on it(engraved? Painted?). Suggestions or possible custom builds, please?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Since it will stay in the family just go whole hog.  He won't realize you spent his inheritance until later  :)
-steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: oc1 on January 22, 2018, 08:25:46 AM
Since it will stay in the family just go whole hog.  He won't realize you spent his inheritance until later  :)
-steve

;D ;D ;D ;D

Decker

Gregg, I can't offer ideas.  Do you have some rod building experience?   /Joe

SoCalAngler

You can either write this name, make a sticker on your home PC, which cost less or have one made. Clean off the area above the fore grip with rubbing alcohol or some nail polish remover and let dry. This area should already have some sort of wrapping that is coated, this is where most manufactures list the rod type and model number. Write his name in a Sharpie/permanent marker color of your or his choice or place the sticker on that coated area. If a sticker is used make sure all air bubbles are pressed out from underneath the sticker, Next apply a rod wrapping clear coat/flex coat with a small brush to cover around the whole rod area where the old coating is. Use only a thin coat and since I bet you don't have a dryer spin the rod laying flat slowly for a hour or two in your hands (like I said very thin coat) as you watch some TV. Then let the coating fully dry over night or longer. A hand held hair dryer will speed up the process as you slowly spin the rod, but only make it warm not hot. The next day check out your work for drips or what ever. If needed a second coat can be applied, but again spin the rod and use a hair dryer if wanted.

The clear/flex coats can be found where rod building supplies are sold or on line. Just buy the smallest amount you can get because it will take very little for your use on one rod.

Newell Nut

Go to decalconnection.com and order a professional rod decal for $5 and then buy the smallest Flex Coat kit. Clean the space for the decal with alcohol. Apply the decal, when you peel the outer layer off then wipe the decal with alcohol. Cut a couple Vs in a box and you are ready to coat the decal area with the flex coat. Be patient with the rotating so it comes out smooth and round.

Dwight

Fishy247

If you happen to have a BBQ rotisserie, set it up to spin your rod while you're applying the clear coat. It will help even everything out and you won't be stuck spinning it by hand.

Mike