Did Penn make stainless 113h gears?

Started by JRD, January 23, 2018, 02:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I bought a Newelled 113h from the auction site just for the side plates.  Basically ended up with the Newell bars, bases and spool for free.  It had this set of gears in it.  The main does have the bushing in it but they are bright and shiny just like aftermarket stainless gears.  There is no hint of being polished.

vilters

interesting set of gears, what is the ratio?

JRD

Quote from: vilters on January 23, 2018, 02:29:45 AM
interesting set of gears, what is the ratio?

It's a 42 main and 13 pinion = 3.23:1

akfish

The very early 113H gears were steel -- although not very stainless.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

Yes. They were initially installed in the Anniversary Specials. The remainder were installed in other 113H, 113Hl, & 113HLW. No rhym or reason. I think they would find a box then install them and when they found another box, they would install them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

gstours

So Brian,  you said yes?  on the aniversary reels.   These are stainless main gears?   Just to be sure ? ???

broadway

I'm not sure about that... i have heard that they never put stainless gears in there reels.
Maybe Tony (Penn) could jump in here?
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on April 30, 2018, 08:43:34 PM
I'm not sure about that... i have heard that they never put stainless gears in there reels.
Maybe Tony (Penn) could jump in here?
Thanks
Dom
I believe they did, it says so on their 50th anniversary catalog

and a closeup

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

It's great that you're digging this stuff up.   Those original ads sure imply they did.  I've had a couple of the anniversary ones apart and never thought to check.  Seemed to me be just steel gears.
   Now I gotta know,   Look and he shall find.  ;).    Thanks 🙏

broadway

Thanks for the confirmation, Sal.
This has been debated for quite some time. At least we know some reels had them.
Dom

mo65

This is the gear set from my 210, these gears went into anniversary Jigmasters, and evidently some 210s also. The photo with the ss gear sleeve and drags shows how well the gear matches in appearance.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

SoCalAngler

Since the reel was Newelled it may have the aftermarket Newell gears in it. I know Carl made or had made steel gears for this sized reel but not sure if they were stainless or not. Since those gears are long gone I don't know who you can find out other than doing a internet search on Newell gears.

I also have a used stock set of 113H steel gears and their pretty shiny.  ;)

handi2

I have an unmolested 114H Aniversary. Ill check and see.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Army_of_One

Quote from: handi2 on May 01, 2018, 10:38:08 PM
I have an unmolested 114H Aniversary. Ill check and see.
That poor thing was hidden well.  I might have to talk you out of it next time I come by.  ;D
Another day in Paradise!

Swami805

I think the insert in that main gear is the tip off. I've seen newell gears for penns but never with that insert, anything is possible however.
Do what you can with that you have where you are