Did Penn make stainless 113h gears?

Started by JRD, January 23, 2018, 02:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on May 01, 2018, 10:38:08 PM
I have an unmolested 114H Aniversary. Ill check and see.
Keith, how were you going to check the gears?
Some are shiny, some are dull, some are magnetic and some are not :-\
Here are some different ones I have:

The accurate is not magnetic, well just a touch, but all the rest are. On the right I'm showing the earlier Newell shiny gears next to the later dull ones.

About the brass insert. I have asked some time ago and they told me it was an insulator to dampen gear noise.
I didn't buy it, gulling makes a little more sense to me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 02, 2018, 12:20:56 AM
About the brass insert. I have asked some time ago and they told me it was an insulator to dampen gear noise.

Yes, that insert is going to come into play when the gear is spinning on the sleeve...under drag. It would not make much effect while winding the handle normally.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

swill88

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 02, 2018, 12:20:56 AM
Quote from: handi2 on May 01, 2018, 10:38:08 PM
I have an unmolested 114H Aniversary. Ill check and see.
Keith, how were you going to check the gears?
Some are shiny, some are dull, some are magnetic and some are not :-\
Here are some different ones I have:

The accurate is not magnetic, well just a touch, but all the rest are. On the right I'm showing the earlier Newell shiny gears next to the later dull ones.

Sal

Sal that picture is a great help. Thanks!

steve

mo65

I took apart a 114H Anniversary today, and just as sure as a day is long, it has a nice shiny stainless steel main gear. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

That's great Mo. I haven't had time to check mine yet. I hop it's still in there. The Reel looks mint.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gman_WC

Congrats Mo, that reels a beast.
Will you be upgrading anything on it or will she be restored as stock?

-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

JRD

Since the original post I've had four sets of jigmaster gears that are the same shiny steel come across my table.  So maybe they are more common than not

Three se7ens

Just a note on the stainless gears and checking with a magnet:

*only some stainless alloys are not magnetic*

Generally speaking, 300 series (304, 316, etc) are not magnetic and cannot be heat treated.  They are soft and flexible, but very tough and corrosion resistant.  The 400 series (420, 440, etc), is magnetic and can be heat treated for higher strength.  Strength and corrosion resistance both are dependent on the particular alloy *and* state of hardening.

The PH series (precipitation hardening) is also magnetic, and very high strength while retaining good corrosion resistance.  17-4ph is the most common (often seen in fishing reels gears, including Okumas) but there are other alloys too, such as 13-8PH.

A magnet is only useful for sorting 300 series stainless from everything else.  When it comes to fishing reel gears, 316 is a very poor choice, and you will not see it in a quality gear set. 

gstours

Thanks for the tip about magnetic stainless.   Ive often wondered what was what.  even tried the spark test! ??? ???
     Good info.