A Sneaky DAM Tip

Started by mo65, January 23, 2018, 07:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Anybody who has disassembled a DAM Quick reel knows what a pain the handle arm pins are. Today I met one that just would not budge. I think it was tapped in wrong...since they are a tapered pin that can happen. I tried both directions but no dice. Before I buggered up a near mint handle, I took a pause, got more coffee, and sat and thought about it for a while.
   Why was I removing the pin you ask? There is a nylon washer between the handle arm and the chrome sleeve that tightens it. That washer was missing on my reel, so the handle had to come off, right? This is where the lightning struck...I didn't need to gouge up my handle...I could get that nylon washer on there without removing the handle.
   The first pic shows how I cut a slit in the nylon washer. Now just slide it over the handle post. The second photo shows how it fits. Do this only if you fear for the safety of your handle arm, like I did. Now can I have another order of them french fried taters?...mmm hmmm... 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Nice!  Great tip to file away for later use  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Looks like you are working on a little 265 Microlite -- one of my all time favorite DAM reels, Mike.

Yes, there can be an issue -- particularly on those aluminum handles joined to the crank main gear shaft by a steel tapered and fluted keeper pin. 

What I do is soak the pin and ball of the handle in Kroil overnight.  Then cradle the ball in a block of Oak with a hole drilled to somewhat stabilize the ball -- then tap it out with a 1/16" punch..

It has always worked with no damage (sometimes takes a decent sized hammer though).

This year, I am considering what type of small press to get that will do the job.  Thinking about hydraulic.

Sal, and others would know what might work the best.

Show us the reel when you are done -- I will bet it will be perfect.

If any parts are needed, let me know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on January 23, 2018, 07:53:09 PM
Looks like you are working on a little 265 Microlite -- one of my all time favorite DAM reels, Mike.

Show us the reel when you are done -- I will bet it will be perfect.

If any parts are needed, let me know.

Yes sir Fred, it's a 265 alright, I believe it's my favorite too. I like the way the main gear is supported on both sides. I'm pretty stoked about this little guy...I think I may have a bass reel here that will last longer than a few years.
   I plan to do a post on it. It's a pretty clean reel to start with, so hopefully she'll dazzle. I shouldn't need any parts, but I may need that advise, so don't stray far from the 'puter for a few weeks! Thanks for everything you do Fred. 8)

happyhooker

Like your thought process too, mo65.  Sometimes you just wanna get something done, get frustrated, want to barge ahead.  I'm trying to get in the habit of just looking at something, let things sink in, maybe take a short break, clear my head & then come back & look at things from a diff. angle.  Doesn't always work, but it has enough times that I think it's always worth a try.

Frank

Rivverrat

Fred or anybody, did the 265 ever have an aluminum spool ? ... Jef

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 25, 2018, 06:58:51 AM

My 265 does have an aluminum spool. It's covered in a thick black finish that looks like plastic...but it is aluminum.

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on January 25, 2018, 02:50:00 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on January 25, 2018, 06:58:51 AM

My 265 does have an aluminum spool. It's covered in a thick black finish that looks like plastic...but it is aluminum.

Yes, Mike is exactly right, Jeff — all 265 Microlites have aluminum spools.

110's have plastic — and they are interchangeable with 265's.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Mike & Fred, THANKS !!!   Is some great info I wasnt aware of... Jeff