Help ID this tool?

Started by nelz, January 23, 2018, 08:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I picked this up at a flea market for $3. Soaked it in WD40 for a while, looks good now, works good as new. However, I don't know anything about it's origins. Is it an antique maybe? I've never seen any wrenches like this before.

The only markings are "Forged Steel U.S.A." and also "9 IN" on the other side. That's it. Nice heavy quality tool, opens really wide, to 2 1/2 inches worth. Any ideas?

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

In the day, those were the original "Monkey Wrenches".

They still work very well.

I cleaned up a couple of old ones last year -- and they are excellent tools.

For machinery and sometimes plumbing such as hex unions or fittings.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Thanks guys! So this is pretty old, but I guess not so rare then. This one doesn't say Ford on it though, hmm...

Reel 224

I have those wrenches for my farm equipment for adjusting sweeps and cultivators, works good on square nuts.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

wfjord

It's a straight pipe wrench. They're still made and sold in hardware stores. I have a few out in the garage and also a small attractive antique one with a wooden handle.

Tiddlerbasher

In the Uk they are often called a Stillson wrench.

exp2000

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 24, 2018, 02:14:06 AM

Yeah, same here in Oz.

Got a few of these up to 24 inches or so for larger steel pipes.
~

theswimmer

Looks to be an early Crecent or maybe Marklet (sp)....
I have one in the shop I will try to dig out for comparison.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rivverrat

This technically is not a pipe wrench though very similar... Jeff

conchydong

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 24, 2018, 02:14:06 AM

We also use that term  (Stillson) interchangeably with pipe wrench for the ones with teeth to grab round surfaces.
The one pictured without teeth is  referred to as a "monkey" wrench.

Captain64-200

I have the same wrench it was part of my grand-father plumber  leather toolbox ...it works perfectly .
Fred from Biarritz ,

bluefish69

I still have my Father's Monkey Wrenches. He is gone 48yrs. I used them on Chrome Lock Nuts & Flush Valves because you didn't want scratches on the Chrome.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

nelz

Quote from: Captain64-200 on January 25, 2018, 10:45:32 PM
I have the same wrench it was part of my grand-father plumber  leather toolbox ...it works perfectly .

Any idea who they were made by?  Mine has no manufacturer's markings of any kind.

foakes

These were manufactured by a few different companies depending on when original patents ran out.

I have a restored 9" one that looks very close to yours — but very clearly labeled Crescent Tool Co.

Another heavier duty one with wooden grips over a thru-handle steel tang probably is marked also — but I will wait until tomorrow to check it, since it is 40 yards away, in the workshop, there is snow on the ground, 26 degrees, and I have my pajamas on.

They are very dependable tools.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.