Help ID this tool?

Started by nelz, January 23, 2018, 08:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Quote from: foakes on January 26, 2018, 05:59:43 AMbut I will wait until tomorrow to check it, since it is 40 yards away, in the workshop, there is snow on the ground, 26 degrees, and I have my pajamas on.

NO. I insist that you run out there right this minute! ;D LOL, and I hear you have hungry mountain lions out there too.

Captain64-200

Quote from: nelz on January 26, 2018, 05:31:48 AM
Quote from: Captain64-200 on January 25, 2018, 10:45:32 PM
I have the same wrench it was part of my grand-father plumber  leather toolbox ...it works perfectly .

Any idea who they were made by?  Mine has no manufacturer's markings of any kind.

Mine is french made  , stamped "Peugeot Frères, tout acier "  which means " Peugeot Brothers , all steel "   the same Peugeot as the car manufacturers , these are excellent and durable tools .There's also a stamped African Lion which was their emblem .
Fred from Biarritz ,

foakes

The one like yours is a 9" labeled Crescent Tool Co.

The larger one is a 12" model weighing in at 3 pounds, 8 ounces.

It is labeled:

P.S. & W. Co.
Solid Bar
Jan. 14. 1890
Made in U.S.A.

I cleaned it off last year, oiled it, and stuck it on the pegboard out in one of the shops.

Works perfectly — no slop or wear signs after perhaps 128 years, or so — just work scars.

Would also make a nice weapon in a vehicle, or to bust out a window.

It belonged to Sue's Grandfather and was used out on the farm in Tranquility.  Like all of his tools, the handle was painted green.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

The famous monkey wrench. The original multi-tool, use as a wrench, hammer, or pry things.

nelz

Thanks Fred. Yeah, that big one looks very robust, very nice.