I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF

Started by Dominick, January 24, 2018, 05:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

He's been hooked before. Is that wire or line in the top of his mouth ?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Looking at that picture mako me nervous.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Those may be parasites INSIDE the mouth, but that transverse tear of the skin between the snout and the upper lip looks to be an injury to this veterinarian.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Rivverrat

Possibly from another shark. Those are parasites I wasnt for sure at first... Jeff

oc1

I don't know of parasites that look quite like that and think there is a hook buried in the roof of it's mouth.
-steve

Shark Hunter

Do a little research, there are no hooks in this Shark's mouth.
Only Battle scars from doing what he does best.
They are Copepods.
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

I beleive they are parasites. That was my first thought. Then looked a little more & thought it was wire leader.  I do beleive it's parasites. However cant say I've looked into the mouth of many sharks... Jeff

Shark Hunter

I have looked into many a Shark's Mouth Jeff.
Just not a Mako.
I still can't get that image out of my head this past Sept. When Robin caught that 4' Blacktip.
He might have been small, but his rows of teeth were intimidating.
After his third attempt to bite me, he left with the hook in his mouth.
Something I hate to do, but it is not worth me getting bit over it.
Life is Good!

oc1

Parasitic copepods have a split tail like that, but I did not think they could get that large.  Without a circulatory system there are limits to how big they can be.  Maybe the fish is smaller than I imagined.
-steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 26, 2018, 08:35:33 AM
I have looked into many a Shark's Mouth Jeff.
Just not a Mako.
I still can't get that image out of my head this past Sept. When Robin caught that 4' Blacktip.
He might have been small, but his rows of teeth were intimidating.
After his third attempt to bite me, he left with the hook in his mouth.
Something I hate to do, but it is not worth me getting bit over it.

Daron, not doubting anything. While of course its best to remove a hook out of respect to these fish on the other hand I wouldnt worry much about leaving a hook in a sharks mouth or most other fish. If you want I can get you studies done on this. A sharks mouth, some a little more than others is a ready made thing for doing battle & this goes way past the obvious being their teeth. A sharks mouth has an extremely tenacious capacity to take abuse. Far more than a leaving a hook would cause.

This summer fishing for them I will be using carbon hooks. Should I have to leave one they are expelled faster than stainless.  Much better to return a shark quickly to the water with a hook in its mouth than fiddle with it for any lengthy time in attempts to free a hook.

It's hard to come up with man made stuff that compares on the same level. Sharks are magnificent thing! One which man will never know all there is to know about ... Jeff

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

54bullseye

Some of you guys have to much time on your hands !!!!  Lol !!!           John Taylor

Rivverrat

Quote from: 54bullseye on February 27, 2018, 12:49:16 AM
Some of you guys have to much time on your hands !!!!  Lol !!!           John Taylor

Ya it's called winter. A mind numbing thing at times... Jeff