the fred hall show, long beach, 2018

Started by alantani, March 09, 2018, 05:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the fred hall show, long beach, 2018

wednesday, march 7th, 2018

this is it!  this is the big one.  everybody is here.  it's friday morning now, i've been cruising around for the last two days just saying hi to everyone and figuring out where people were.  of course, my absolute first stop had to be the izorline booth to see wendy tochihara.  there are so few women in the fishing industry, so to find someone like her is truly rare!

and then there's rosie flowers at cedros sportfishing.  just so you guys know, she's almost 6 feet tall!

we must always pay homage to one of the greats in this industry, cal sheets!  he and eric are back in the same booth.  i just did a full post on the new penn 50 visx.  every time i went by, people were three deep surrounding him.  i was lucky to get this shot of him and eric when i did.  i'll try to catch up with them later!

the rest of the day was just spent cruising around.  i also spent a fair amount of time at the marla sport fishing booth helping out danny and scotty osuna from puerto vallarta.  

thursday, march 8th, 2018

had a nice breakfast with khan adams and jack bradley, then drove out early to the seeker factory.  khanh is our rod guy.  he was in heaven!  got to meet jose ortega!!!!!!

got to meet nick lam as well!

if this doesn't make you guys drool, i don't know what will!

now, back to the show!  

here's rainshadow!

the rod builder's gallery was really cool!

avet!!!!!

vince from phenix!

joe from johnson/hicks marine!  these are the guys that rigged my boat!

soft steel!

angler wear!  just bought a bunch of their stuff.  no more ratty old t-shirts for me!!!!

okuma!

tony is hangin' out at the cousins booth!

calstar!

seeker!

tady!

p-line!  these guys are only 30 minutes from my house!

lots of deal to be had!

shimano!

we do alot of bottom fishing.  these looked interesting!

the izor laboratory!

dan hernandez!

the great gary loomis and north fork!

these guys had some interesting stuff.  going to have to get back later and take a look!

this was a real surprise!  this is wes seigler of seigler reels (aka, truth reels), all the way from virginia.  he's got some great reels.  make sure you stop and take a look!!!!!

frontier charters!

my friend, mark daugherty, east cape guides and van wormer resorts!

turners!

orchid martinez!

the yamada's and alaska reel adventures.  i've gotta get up there someday!

john bretza and denny kaneoka at the okuma booth!

we hit the sushi bar with the underwater camera guys and drank way too much, which is why this report is late!  more photos and videos to come!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

pjstevko

Looks like fun!!!!! I've been curious about the Lingcodjig company, their octopus jig looks a lot like one of the papa's jigs I have....

How about a pic of the Caivo booth?????

alantani

justin at the accurate booth.

jose at cedros outdoor adventures.

hotel buena vista beach resort.

danny and scotty osuna with marla's sportfishing.

rosie flowers at cedros sportfishing.

frank murata with daiwa.

tony garza from soft steel.

jonathan with tail hunter sportfishing.

darin dohi with united composites

wes seigler with seigler reels.

tony dubeck with penn and the 50 visx

centaur

and joe donatini with johnson/hicks marine.

pjstevko

All the shiny new gear could make a guy go broke! Looks like a great show

SoCalAngler

Thank you Alan for taking the time and effort to post this.

I chose not to attend again this year but it is nice seeing so many familiar faces. Where was Steve Carson? I have always seen him at the Penn booth or doing seminars. I hope all is well with him.

Several tackle shops around here offer the same discounts :D as one may see at the show. For me not looking to buy a large purchase it makes sense. I heard it was like $18 to get in and around another $10 or more for parking. Yikes not for me anymore.

I know this is late but do support your local tackle shops even if they could not make the show.

I got a deal that was very hard to pass up from a local vendor. I won't say their name or the price I payed but lets say I didn't have to go to the FHS to get a deal.

Two not shown stay with me the others head down to Loreto to go to three boats.

MarkT

I was there on Wednesday. I stopped at Charkbait on the way but they were cleaned out, or had removed inventory, since they had everything at least 20% off.  I didn't get anything there.
Here's what I picked up at the FHS. The JRI jigs were from Bob Sands and the rest were from Anglers choice. I picked up a UC Tilefish Jr from Bob Sands too.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jzman

From Alan's videos, it looks like there's a trend of reels having round knob handles.  No bueno.  Do you know why Alan?

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: jzman on March 11, 2018, 03:37:35 AM
it looks like there's a trend of reels having round knob handles.  No bueno. 

It's the wave of the future, and to be honest IMHO round knobs are superior for most light to medium applications to the dog turd shape. I was ??? about them at first, but after I put one on an Avet SX there was no turning back. I've put them on my last 3 Avet reels (Thanks to Alan, he zapped off the original handles for me) and find them to be easier to use and more comfortable in my hand.

I'm sure for bigger applications those specialized handles are the ticket for Marlin & big Tuna, but for everything else the round jigging/power knob is superior to the oblong rubber handles Avet & others put out.

Be open to them, I think you might be surprised with how well they fit your hand.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

SoCalAngler

I'm lucky where I live as I have one tackle shop about 300 yards from my front door, a 20 minute drive one way is Sav On, 20 minutes another way I have the Longfin and 20 minutes west I have Charkbait. There others in between the further three but I choose not to go to those because they really don't know me and I don't know them personally.

Yeah Mark did get picked somewhat clean as I stopped by Sunday afternoon to say hello and see how his sale went. But if you didn't need the stuff right then you could of made a online purchase and still got a deal.

I did not get the 5 Halco's from Charkbait.

bhale1

Steve,
Nope, it's not just you....I can't see Mark's pics either...just the minus sign. And nothing opens when I hit the minus sign😣
Brett

SoCalAngler

Quote from: jzman on March 11, 2018, 03:37:35 AM
From Alan's videos, it looks like there's a trend of reels having round knob handles.  No bueno.  Do you know why Alan?

I like Seigler reels but won't buy one as I'm not a fan of their round handle knobs, well not just theirs any round knob.

nlam004

Very cool pics Alan.  Good seeing you and Khanh.

Till next time!

Nick

alantani

more videos! we'll start with taro takeuchi with liberty sportfishing!

charlie from cousins tackle.

the great steve carson from penn!

keegan and ez-puller from johnson/hicks!

robert  meyer from avet!

alantani

ran into bill at the show.  nice to finally meet him!

dennis, kil, me and mel at the black hole booth!

and andre jara!

mostly hung out with the osuna's.  took them out for sushi on saturday night.  lots of fun!!!!

great show.  if you've never been, you've got to add it to your bucket list!