the response from alaska airlines!

Started by alantani, January 24, 2018, 11:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 25, 2018, 02:41:59 AM
Quote from: swill88 on January 25, 2018, 02:34:06 AM
Question. What would work to protect the scarred up aluminum in the salt?
Steve

One could attempt a crude repair with a metal flake-infused epoxy (like Devcon), and then paint.  It probably will still look terrible, but it may get rid of the sharp edges, and protect against corrosion.

My question John, and Lee ::), will the unprotected scarred aluminum react poorly over time? Any need to protect the outside of a reel once it's ugly? (Sorry Alan).

Rivverrat

There is more reason to protect any aluminum that has scratched or gouged especially with the anodizeing is gone. The aluminum is opened up & bare to the effects of salt... Jeff

Swami805

I would give it another shot with someone higher up the food chain at the airline. That response is from someone in the "figure out a way to not pay claims" department.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Quote from: swill88 on January 25, 2018, 03:30:39 AMMy question John, and Lee ::), will the unprotected scarred aluminum react poorly over time? Any need to protect the outside of a reel once it's ugly? (Sorry Alan).

Aluminum oxidizes quickly but the oxide adheres to the base metal, it will always be a problem though.  Elastic Airline owes Alen a reel.

One good thing, the mechanics did not ignore a trim jack problem and the plane did not fall out of the air on the way north from Cabo like one did in the late 90's  A friend of mine died in that "bobo".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

theswimmer

Quote from: swill88 on January 25, 2018, 02:34:06 AM
Question. What would work to protect the scarred up aluminum in the salt?
Steve

Yamaha Blue Grease 😎
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rivverrat

Quote from: theswimmer on January 25, 2018, 04:17:01 AM

Yamaha Blue Grease 😎

;D ;D

I dont understand the being given only one day to respond while traveling thing.

Here, I'll trash your high dollar gear & being the responsible person I am, I'll also go out of my way & give you a whole day to respond, I mean your traveling you dont have any thing else you need to do?  Do you ? Great! So you have one day to respond in the fashion that I set forth... What... Your not OK with that ?      Wheres the problem ?

foakes

I would approach this from the angle that they did not have all of the facts.

No drama, just an opportunity to rectify and do the right thing — contact via email this person:

Brad Tilden, CEO Alaskan Airlines

brad.tilden@alaskaair.com

Just let him know you are a long time Alaskan Airlines flyer, with their Credit Card and you would like them to handle this claim for your damaged equipment.

Mention that you filed a claim immediately, the name of the rep, and the office it was filed with, plus the promise that it "would be taken care of".

Include a copy of the claim, and the photos.

Mention also that you are surprised and frankly disappointed that this was not handled as promised — and you wanted to bring it to the attention of the CEO — since as a fellow professional and business person, you feel it is important for him to be aware of a matter that is just obviously something that was handled poorly by an employee.

Sign it Dr. Alan Tani.

This has always worked for me, unless I was asking for something that was unreasonable.

If by chance, this does not work — our in-house counsel can write him a nice letter.

At the subject line in the email — note the date and time sent.

You should receive a response within 24 to 36 hours.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

scrinch

I think Fred is spot on. With the right approach, the CEO will see to it that something is done about this, even if it isn't a new reel. Maybe send him a link to the forum, too.

smnaguwa

I agree with Fred. When I went fishing with my cousin who's a lawyer, we had a problem with getting our rooms at a Canadian fishing lodge. My cousin handed the receptionist his business card and the problem was fixed immediately.

Gfish

Looks like it fell offa the baggage cart outside the plane and was run over by the cart.

I've used Ak. Air. for years now. Moved boxes & large suitcases of equipment & household items from Cali. to Hi. without any problems. As airlines go I'd rate Ak. Air. as good, but not great. They sold me their credit card, then took away the sign-up bonus program before the deal was finalized. Dropped the card account.

Will switch over to S.W. Airlines when they come here(hopefully this year).

If you got the time I'd dog 'em. I believe some companies bank on people not wanting, or having the time, to follow-up. Airline companies seem to have alota power when it comes to bad business practices.

Service ratings (based on a too small sample size): American/united-Awful
                                                                          Alaska.              - Good
                                                                           Southwest.        -Great
                                                                           Hawaiian.           -Bad
                                                                            Asiana.              -Best
                                                                             Island.              -Bad
                                                                              Delta.               -Bad
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gobi King

Quote from: scrinch on January 25, 2018, 06:52:38 AM
I think Fred is spot on. With the right approach, the CEO will see to it that something is done about this, even if it isn't a new reel. Maybe send him a link to the forum, too.

Agree with what Fred said,

Hey Alan, do you have any singing talent?  you could sing a song about it...  :D

That seems the only way for United to take notice!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

akfish

When Alaska Airline crushed my rods, I had to contact my elected representatives. Eventually one wrote back -- two others never replied -- and contacted the airline. It took almost a year, but I got 90% of the new value of my rods.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bill Karr

Alan,
I would do as Fred suggest but would also add that the Board has over 12,000 members from all over the world as well as an average of X number of daily guests. All of whom are aware of this this situation.
Bill
Bill

MarkT

On Facebook Alan posted an update after hearing from the woman in PV who took his statement. He might still get this resolved.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Quote from: akfish on January 25, 2018, 03:51:20 PM
When Alaska Airline crushed my rods, I had to contact my elected representatives. Eventually one wrote back -- two others never replied -- and contacted the airline. It took almost a year, but I got 90% of the new value of my rods.

Juno has a choice of airlines, KTN didn't.  People heading to Anchorage from Seattle paid a lot less for a ticket than people lying from KTN to Anchorage did and on the same flight.  I flew Elastic Air almost every week and the people were great, but AA is not a good company.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain