Rigging the king Kandy for king Salmon

Started by gstours, January 25, 2018, 09:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This is an improvement over the factory system that is supplied.  The Vic siwash is swapped for a non rust thinner 6/0.  The yarn lasts a lot longer than the foam strips. And the treble stays hooked way better.

gstours

Trim the yarn to flush as it won't rotate as well with the extra turbulence. 

gstours

The trailer hook must extend past the tail w the leader slightly.  This color is a new one for me.  The green,blue black chrome colors are proven producers.  The sardines are tops.   Always refresh the scents when you can.  The gels work good on wet.   These plugs are amazing 😉.  Just saying.
  Troll without a flasher about 2-4 knots.  Point Wilson darts.com.  Amazon.com has some colors.   Seattle marine inc.  has some.    Thanks 🙏

gstours

Last year
Last fish.   Tight lines

Dominick

Hey Gary, do you glue in the yarn?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

No glue, first two pcs of yarn just push thru the siwash eye and tie a simple overhand knot, then add one more overhand yarn above it,  then one more,  lut run wild.  then push hook into the pocket and trim as shown.  you will get 4 small white pcs of foam with each plug in bottom flap of box.   Some friends use these as they are and make more,  their thinking is the research into the plug deems it better to not mess around..... Butt i dunno.    The wet yarn may not soak up the fish oil scents like a dry pc of absorbent foam?      Good luck. ;)

David Hall

We're stuck as you know with barbless hooks here. I had to re rig them new out of the box.  Have to add the yarn yet. I dragged the sardine around for about 6hrs in Monterey Bay at the end of last season and must have been fishing empty water, not a bite and I'm certain that fished correctly when the fish are there they will work so I'm not giving up on them by any means. now that I'm re rigging everything on the boat.  I'm switching over to Chamberlain releases on the balls and clip on offshore canon red releases for stacking.  And best part is this morning I ordered a pair of 10'-6" XXC 261M  Lamiglass Salmon Steelhead blanks  in 15-30 lb moderate action heavy power downrigger rods and our own Jon Vadney is going to build for me.  I feel like all brand new and shiny!  Only 60 some days to go till opening weekend. But who's counting.

smnaguwa

Hi Gary, really like your reports. I just got a sardine King Kandy but the candlefish model. Will this work as well as the one you posted?

gstours

Sorry for the delayed response. The small candlefish model may work for some fish 🎣.  Butt these are very small, and don't roll over when pulled through the water,  I'm pretty sure these would be fine if your using a flasher or dodger. I only use the whole herring size.  These roll over nice and slow and have a wider arc and have increased visibility.    I'm talking king salmon here.  Cohos like small and fast it seems. 
    Good luck 🍀

Carl L

Barbless hooks? Do you mean monteray bay ca? Is that something new? Its been years, but I used to fish off newport pier and have never heard that...

humboldtdan

Not new.  The Ca salmon fishery is a mixed stock fishery with both abundant hatchery fish and other robust populations (relatively) intermingled with ESA listed salmon.  Coho salmon cannot be retained at all.  Barbless hook reg has been around since the 90s, as far as I know.

David Hall

It's true DFW checks our hooks and it's a hefty fine if you get caught with barbed hooks and salmon onboard.

kmstorm64

Quote from: Carl L on February 28, 2018, 02:09:40 AM
Barbless hooks? Do you mean monteray bay ca? Is that something new? Its been years, but I used to fish off newport pier and have never heard that...

Most of California with a couple of area on the rivers allowing barbs. But you have to know the exact spot or the Warden will be waiting for you. I just fish barbless on salmon & steelhead waters and play it safe rather memorize maps.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

David Hall

Once you get used to fishing them, I rarely lose a fish because of them and the new Kenai Kwik rod is amazing, just hold and reel let the rod do the rest.  Two bites, two fish.