Main Menu

Sockeye salmon

Started by Reel 224, January 26, 2018, 02:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Ruth bought a filet of sockeye salmon with skin on. I want to cook it in the oven. Does anyone have a suggestion or recipe on how he or she would prepare it.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tiddlerbasher

Skin on salmon fillets - I usually pan fry very fast - dash of oil - skin side down - as the flesh starts cooking I add a squeeze of fresh orange juice and a couple dashes of good soy sauce (like Kikoman). Don't over cook. A couple of sprigs of cilantro to dress.

Reel 224

I hadent thought of that good suggestion, as you can tell I haven't  cooked Salmon so I knew if I asked here I would get good advice.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Sockeye is the best salmon. in Alaska I used a 50 fathom subsistence gillnet to harvest 75-100 8#-12# fish a year to smoke and can.  I liked to grill them meat side down until 1/2 done then flip it over to finish with the skin down, don't over cook.  I basted it with butter, lemon juice, tobacco and salt.  Salmon have long oil glands under the skin and when you finish it skin side down the tasty oil percolates through the flesh, steaking a salmon allows these oils to run out during cooking and makes dryer and less tasty fish.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Never tried 'tobacco' on fish. Do you have your grill 'smoking' hot :D

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 26, 2018, 03:00:59 PM
Never tried 'tobacco' on fish. Do you have your grill 'smoking' hot :D

Yes, my wife does not like real hot food so I went lite for her, my kids loved it hotter.  4-8 shakes worked.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

El Pescador

Joe,

Here are some recipes for you to reivew, enough to get started, and I totally agree with Lee, Sockeye Salmon is the BEST!!!

https://www.deneki.com/tag/recipes/

Let us know how you & Ruth enjoy your salmon!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

akfish

Mix salt, pepper, brown sugar and olive oil into a paste of sorts. Bush it liberally on the flesh side of the salmon, then bake in a hot oven, skin side down, for 10 minutes or so. Sugar really helps salmon.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

I was taught how to smoke dry salmon by a Tlinket Elder, she only used salt and alder smoke.

Mark Twain

Reel 224

WOW!.... :o Thank you guys. I only have my oven and stove to cook now, my grill is not working because of a Leakey gas pipe. I only have one filet so I'll try to cook it on the stove with some of your seasonings.

I will cook it tonight and let you know if I cooked it rite or screwed it up.

Thanks...............Joe

Keta

Mark Twain

Hardy Boy

I agree with AKFISH : a little salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic powder or fresh chopped up fine, and sprinkle brown sugar on it, let sit in the fridge for half and hour or so and bake skin down. a little maple  syrup is also good. A little cumin is also really good (if you like it).

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

akfish

Hardy Boy is right: Add some chopped garlic to my recipe and DON'T OVERCOOK!!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Rivverrat

Salmon during paticular times of year, in paticular places is the first cut bait that goes on my hooks for medium sized cats. If it doesnt work out roll it in foil, done up like in any of the above descriptions & cook carfull on coals. Either way its a win  ;D

Reel 224