alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Crash Test Dummy
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 16, 2018, 01:56:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crash Test Dummy  (Read 2310 times)
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 05:57:24 PM »

Hi Ted,

The handles look great.  Now I cannot find my son's 501 width Long Beach Live Bait 259  Roll Eyes

I'll mount it on mine.  The only difference is that his is a lefty and his red spool is newer...mine if faded...

I'll take pics how it fits his hand versus mine. 

I do have a few comments though.  I'm hesitant to post it as I don't want it to be considered bashing, because it's not.  I hope it's considered constructive.  Unfortunately, I'll have to post later as something just came up that I have to attend to...I'll post it tonight along with the pictures.  When you see the pictures, you will understand some of my comments.

Bryan

Hi Ted,

For my gorilla hands, the bottom aluminum stopper is right at my pinky finger, making the grip a little uncomfortable for my hand. If it were another inch longer, it would be perfect ďfor me.Ē Additionally, if the grip could be a little tapered towards my pinky finger with a slightly smaller stopper, I think itíll fit hands better. And of course, an angled grip. Iíve added picture so you can see what Iím talking about.

Itís strong, comfortable and sexy and just love it. My son will love it for sure.

* 06F99D75-896B-47D2-A781-7CA80CEC3C4E.jpeg (1931.87 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 42 times.)

* 9C9628B3-FC4C-4E5C-8EF5-FB10E48B5F78.jpeg (2171.53 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 40 times.)

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »

The following pics of my observation. Iím not sure if it will really have any impact and understand the why in the design.

On the gear sleeve, I measured about 2-3 mm from the top of the gear sleeve to the top of the handle arm after I screw down on the handle arm then removed the screw.

And I was able to get 2-1/4 turns on the thread of the handle arm securing screw.

These two items may have no effect especially if one is cranking straight. But if one is a funky chicken cranker, then this could possibly be a problem with the handle arm screw breaking or stripping because very little threads holding the arm on the gear sleeve.

* 53272E8B-0AD7-4BD6-BCAD-83A291815D8A.jpeg (1815.91 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 41 times.)

* C4EB1FD9-79B4-4E4D-BD6A-12D696398445.jpeg (3317.33 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 41 times.)

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Webmaster

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 08:13:12 PM »

Hmmmmm, I got full 3 turns on the scalloped handle nut.

Alan C round Eva knob is much more apt to get pulled in every direction, and if you see the teeny tiny screw that holds his knobs on, then 3 threads on a scalloped handle nut will be plenty.

The length of the knob is industry standard and if it is uncomfortable just send it back and I'll cancel billing you.

Not sure what good this post did as there are only 3 prototype jiggy handles out there. Guess I'm stuck with couple grand in junk parts. Glad I didn't start selling full boar. This will surely put me out of business for good

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 08:46:34 PM »

Ted, I mounted a half dozen of what you sent me and the tolerance were really good on the sleeve; I tapped one or two on with rubber mallet. My blades all laid flush and I got plenty of turn in on the handle nut.

Bry Bry, did you check to see if the blade needed to be tapped down; it may just not be flush on the shoulder? Mine all went very snug and solidly.
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Webmaster

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 09:46:45 PM »

My blade is exact same thickness as pro gear blade at the handle nut area. I've never heard of a pro gear handle getting pulled off because the nut couldn't grab enough threads on the gear sleeve

Also these knobs are a full on 3/4" longer than the old pro gear knobs

Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 09:51:52 PM »

I got more thread engagement when I put one on my 349 this afternoon and the blade where the bolt goes through is thinner than my Kranks.  I like the snug fit between the gear sleeve and the blade too.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 10:03:26 PM »

My blade is exact same thickness as pro gear blade at the handle nut area. I've never heard of a pro gear handle getting pulled off because the nut couldn't grab enough threads on the gear sleeve

Also these knobs are a full on 3/4" longer than the old pro gear knobs
One of the best feature I've noticed on that handle is how it fits on the gear sleeve. To me it is one of the best fitment of all the handles I've tested. I have many other types in my possession, could easily be about 100 and to me this is the best machined hole for accepting the gear sleeve .

I'm no crash test dummy though, I was not assigned to it and wouldn't want to take the honor from John Grin.
I'm sure John will give us results on how it handles while cranking under load.

I just posted my pic here because I thought it was a good place for it. but did not test the handle.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Webmaster

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 10:22:12 PM »

notice my standard knob is longer than the very popular 113H pro gear knob, and no uncomfortable missing strip of foam in the mid section.

Here is pro gear next to my new knob

The far left is what was previously brought up as wanting it an inch longer....these would be for Johnny bench size paws and not realistic for the general public or sombody wouldve already made them eons ago

* 001.JPG (965.27 KB, 3296x2472 - viewed 42 times.)

Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 10:31:08 PM »

Ted, I mounted a half dozen of what you sent me and the tolerance were really good on the sleeve; I tapped one or two on with rubber mallet. My blades all laid flush and I got plenty of turn in on the handle nut.

Bry Bry, did you check to see if the blade needed to be tapped down; it may just not be flush on the shoulder? Mine all went very snug and solidly.

Iíll double check how far down the handle is seated on the gear sleeve. Itís snug. Very snug.  Once I lock down the nut and take the nut off, itís very snug. It doesnít even wobble without the handle arm screw.

Iíll try to look for another handle arm screw too. Maybe the one I have is shorter...it's definitely old as it's original equipment on my reel.

notice my standard knob is longer than the very popular 113H pro gear knob, and no uncomfortable missing strip of foam in the mid section.
I have never fished my PG with those handles.  I've used Tiburon or Alan's handles so I cannot compare.

Here is pro gear next to my new knob
They feel more comfortable than the split cushion for sure.  I wondered why PG made it that way and not the way you make yours.  Yours are definitely more comfortable.

The far left is what was previously brought up as wanting it an inch longer....these would be for Johnny bench size paws and not realistic for the general public or sombody wouldve already made them eons ago

Them long ones looks like they would be a good fit for my Gorilla hands. Lol. Large handles are being made, especially for jigging reels.  My hands donít fit too many handles, that's for sure.  I get blisters in odd places on my hand because of it.  Not sure how this will even affect me...as it's going on my son's rock cod reel.

Hmmmmm, I got full 3 turns on the scalloped handle nut.  3 threads on a scalloped handle nut will be plenty.
I'm going to check the seating of the handle arm on the gear sleeve as John suggested.  It's also possible that my handle nut is shorter than others.  The 259 is an old reel and the handle nut may be shorter than newer versions of the handle nut.  If you are confident, then so am I.  If the handle wobbled, I'd be worried, but as I said, these are my concerns(on my 259).  With any custom part, fitment will always be an issue.  Some may fit better than others.  It is what it is.  I run into this all the time with my drag kits.  It is what it is.  sometime modifications are necessary as John said...Maybe I need to taper down the top of my gear sleeve or tighten the handle nut more or find a slightly taller nut.  All good options to make the parts fit that I haven't looked at yet.

The length of the knob is industry standard and if it is uncomfortable just send it back and I'll cancel billing you.

Not sure what good this post did as there are only 3 prototype jiggy handles out there. Guess I'm stuck with couple grand in junk parts. Glad I didn't start selling full boar. This will surely put me out of business for good
Ted, as I stated, these are my observations based on my gorilla hands.  The handle is not for me, but for my son's reel.  His hands are much smaller and fit his hands nicely.

The fit and finish are awesome.  They are not junk.   Roll Eyes  I never said that.  I stated that these are my concerns.  You have addressed my concerns perfectly.  There are some things I need to do, but all is good.

By they way, the invoice was not included with the handle as expected.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:41:35 AM by Bryan Young » Logged

Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 11:09:32 PM »

Johnny Bench?
You are talking the "Cincinnati Reds" Ted.
The original "Big Red Machine". Wink
My Great Granny loved Johnny Bench.
Send me two of those Big Red Machines if there is any left for the 113H.
Daron
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:11:55 PM by Shark Hunter » Logged

Life is Good!
erikpowell
Firearms Group

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 11:30:11 PM »

Yeah Daron!
Big Red Machine #5
JB was my all time favorite! and Joe Morgan was right up there with him.
My mother was engaged to Pete Rose once. Thank god that didn't pan out  Grin Grin

I'd love a Johnny Bench handle!!
can you engrave a big 5 in one for me Ted?  Grin
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:32:35 PM by erikpowell » Logged
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2018, 11:47:20 PM »

Really?
Your Mom was engaged to the famous Pete Rose? WOW!!! Shocked
Lets not forget the "Great 8" Brother.
They were on their game back in 76.
Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Dave Concepcion, George Foster, Ken Griffey and Cesar Geronimo.
The first National League Team to win two World Series in a row since the 1921 and 22 win of the New York Giants.
My Dad took me to many a game back in the day.
Where are my Reds now. Angry
Ok, Back to the program.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:52:05 PM by Shark Hunter » Logged

Life is Good!
thorhammer

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 05:46:56 AM »

Here's a few. Crank test to follow; weather has been poor.

* cd 1.JPG (124.14 KB, 640x480 - viewed 39 times.)

* cd 2.JPG (104.14 KB, 640x480 - viewed 46 times.)

* cd 3.JPG (101.24 KB, 640x480 - viewed 40 times.)

* cd 5.JPG (110.24 KB, 640x480 - viewed 45 times.)
thorhammer

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 06:03:10 AM »

First pic is the 99S....you can't see from the angle because I was showing the handle, but Ted sent me some 99-width solid bars (I think they are from 12 Int?) a while back and I built a sweet 99S  from it. Red clamp you cant see is Maxed Out also.

Cherry Bomb...nothing else for me to pimp out here....

500 width CC in silver was one of the last from Tom's first run of the Classics, my first full Jiggy rod.

the camo grip is sweet...need a couple more..
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2018, 07:15:29 AM »

Those are some sick reels John.

I still like my son's color combination...as soon as I can find his reel...Hmm, I wonder if it's in the safe...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:16:39 AM by Bryan Young » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: