6 Rods

Started by Rivverrat, January 27, 2018, 07:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I'm needing advice on 6 spinning rods that will be used by people of all levels. They need to be at least 7' & fish 40 - 50 lb. line. My main question is if there is anything better than Ugly Stiks that will fish 50 lb. line & be durable  under a $100 ? My guess is there isnt  ...Jeff

foakes

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 27, 2018, 07:01:59 AM
  I'm needing advice on 6 spinning rods that will be used by people of all levels. They need to be at least 7' & fish 40 - 50 lb. line. My main question is if there is anything better than Ugly Stiks that will fish 50 lb. line & be durable  under a $100 ? My guess is there isnt  ...Jeff

There may be something better out there (there is always something better), Jeff —

However, IMO, when you factor together toughness, durability, capability, availability, OTC warranty, and decent prices — you are right — Ugly Stik.

Hard to beat their overall value — particularly as a guide/charter application.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Thanks Fred, I like my high end, top of the line rods. I do have two ugly stiks I use regularly for certain situations on the river. However these arent for me but clients & friends.  My thoughts are to rig the rods with DAM Supers loaded with 50 lb. line with drags set for 40 line. I'll keep a few Finessa's handy for those the Supers may be a bit much for.

I most always have people get out of the boat & wade fish when doing this I tell them to use the rods for walking & testing the depth once in the river. It's one of my biggest joys to see kids of any age out in the river for the first time... Jeff 

mo65

Berkley's ECAT rods are around $70, have an E-glass blank, they compare real close to an Ugly Stik Tiger. I have one in a casting rod...I really like it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Mike, thanks for that I'll give those a look at  BPS. I'm jobless at present so it's agood time to look not needing to do something until spring... Jeff

Nasty Wendy

I recently had a fishing trip where one of my friends misused and broke one of the most expensive rods in my arsenal while I was asleep.  He paid for it but it isn't a pleasant situation.  He didn't know how sickening it was for me as I didn't allow it to show.  Even though he replaced it I would have rather had a capable yet inexpensive rod in the holder for him to do what he pleased. Get the Ugly Stiks!!!
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

festus

Ugly Stik Bigwater in 7' to 15' would do well, also the Tiger is good but only available up to 7'.

The Ugly Stik Catfish rod is good but not really suitable for casting anything much over 3-4 ounces.

Rivverrat

Thanks for this Festus. The Ugly Stiks are really the best value for what I want. The Tiger series rods can be purchased for what a set guides for building a rod cost. What I've found over the years is most manufactures attempts at labeling some rod a catfish rod fail miserably.

St. Croix's new Mojo Cat is probably the best at the present time. A lot of people like them. I find them to soft for their rating. Catfisherman have had the supposed need for a soft floppy tipped rod for properly using circle hooks & all other catfishing preached to them for so long that many believe this & turn their nose at a more appropriate action.

However for my purpose here perfection isn't needed. A affordable, usable, durable rod will work just fine... Jeff   

David Hall

For my personal use, I have custom wrapped Cal star, seeker G-Loomis and Lamiglass.  For everyone else onboard it's Ugly Sticks in every size and weight.

thorhammer

A sport who supposedly knew how to fish flopped one of prize Lamiglas in the motor cowling and broke it, and kind of tried to hide it thinking I didn't see. Ugly sticks are the way to go here.  Jury is out fir me on the new guides they use but you can spin up a set of pac bays economically if needed.

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on March 03, 2018, 09:28:01 PM
..... guides they use but you can spin up a set of pac bays economically if needed.

Will probably end up doing just that being that. I have several Ugly Stiks wrapped for conventional that I don't use. Also most of their spinning rods are pretty soft... Jeff

Jim Fujitani

And sometimes, @#%^%! just happens! 

I had a brand new Seeker in shore graphite, to replace my Ugly Stik Tiger.  It was a beautiful light 8' rod, on its maiden voyage, fishing for halibut on a favorite and often-ridden SF Bay party boat.  I boated what eventually was the jackpot halibut, starboard mid ship.  Due to happenstance in the tight area, I released the drag but accidentally bumped the handle on my Ambassadeur, putting the reel back in gear.  The rod was bent under tension as the well-respected deckhand (and later a captain) pulled the net over the rail.  The rod hit the end of the net handle and snapped!  My beautiful new 8' rod was now only 6 1/2' long!  Went to my back up, back to the old Ugly Stik Tiger....

thorhammer

Occasionally I find a neglected tiger at a yard sale fir 5-10 bucks. I buy every one.

Rivverrat

The Tiger are a fav Ugly Stik also. I can no longer find the the heavy 7' model. So I've been buying the BUSCB 1180 & the BWB 1120. the guides on my 1120's are trashed. I only used mono on them so I can only imagine what braid would have done. Not a problem I'm going to set them up for spinning anyways.   

philaroman

just pulled a forgotten rod from the closet & remembered this post

BPS CatMaxx 7'6" 1-pc. from 20+ yrs. ago (the old, brown E-glass -- not, the modern white composite) -- looks like Berkley E-cat w/out trigger, so replacing a couple guides would make it a good budget spinner...  definitely NOT soft-tipped & WAY underrated at 20-40 -- the blank could easily handle 50, IMO, but it might be a stretch for the guides & seat (cost cutting?)