cedros sportfishing - date changed to september 3-7, 2018

Started by alantani, January 27, 2018, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

oh, trust me, you don't want to try my diet plan!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ldoret94

I'll definitely pass on Alan's diet plan and anyone on our trip can use anything I have.  Unless of course it's tied to the end of my line ;D

Hardy Boy

Looked at the face book updates and they are doing well, some big YT !!. lets hope it keeps up for when we are there at prime time !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

I know some of you are flying in so if anyone needs anything just let me know and I'll bring it. Surface irons, yoyo irons, trolling lures, hard baits, plastics, hooks, etc.

I saw on their website that they have sinkers so we don't need to bring them on the plane but I'll probably bring a couple of 2 oz torpedos for my sabiki rigs.

I'll bring 12 surface and 8 yoyo irons so I can share.  I'll bring a few X-Rap Magnums/DTX minnows for trolling and Daiwa SP minnows and big Lucky Crafts 190's and WaxWings for bass/YT and some flat falls and Colt Snipers, a couple of small poppers and some misc stickbaits too.  I have more of all this so I can bring more if needed. I'm also bringing a couple of 1 oz warbaits leadheads with 6 plastics and a few weedless baits with the weighted twistlock hooks. An extra spool of 40# and 50# line too.
I'll bring extra split rings and hooks too in case I lose them off the lures.  I have at Cedros in the past... those YT are mean!  It all fits in a day pack.

I'm thinking of mostly using artificials this trip so will be bringing a Lexa hd400hs-p w/40# leader on a Phenix psw809h for hard baits, a Shimano TranX 500 hg w/50# leader on a Phenix psw809xhj for surface iron and a Daiwa Saltiga 40ld2 w/50# leader on a Phenix phd760xh for yoyo, trolling and YT bait.  Plus a Seeker G6470 for Todd.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hardy Boy

Mark:Thanks for that . That is great of you to help out us flying guys and guys like me who are short on that kind of gear.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

ldoret94

Doubt I'm as well equipped as Mark but I'll gladly share what I have as well.  As an FYI I have a double reserved at the Vagabond that I'll share as well.

Pete

scrinch

Thanks to both of you for offering to share. I'm new to this as well, so I will likely be light on the right kind of tackle.

Ron Jones

Times getting short. Flying with fish is a pain. If anyone is driving down from the coast I'd be down to meet at your place and carpool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ldoret94

Ron,

Are you driving down from the Olympic Peninsula?   Not sure how much help car pooling from my house in Riverside would be, but I'm open to it if your interested.

Pete

Hardy Boy

Just got the final trip info email from Rosie ..................... getting close and looking forward to it !! Looks like I'm bunking with the Boss ; hope he has ear plugs !! ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

ldoret94

I know the Boss wants to target yellows as do I, but wondering if anyone is interested in trying San Benitos?

Pete

MarkT

It'll depend on the weather and how the fishing is at Cedros.  Lately it's been mostly along the south part of the island between the salt port and San Augustin.  Fishing has been tough for the most part due to all the bait and red crabs.  Smaller Rapalas have been working better than the 30's.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

from rosie!

QuoteRosie Flowers <rosie@cedrossportfishing.com>
To:
Cedros Sportfishing

Aug 9 at 8:28 AM

Tidbits of Information

I have put this "Tidbits of Information" together for those questions that are frequently asked.

These snippets are in no particular order...just random thoughts that might help.

PASSPORTS ARE REQUIRED
CBX Passes are provided. If you lose your pass, you are responsible to purchase a new one. ($30 roundtrip, $16 one way)

You have the opportunity to fish San Benitos Island. It is off the north point of Cedros and takes an hour and a half to get there.  With that being said, there is a $100 fuel surcharge payable to the Panga Captain and you must leave San Benitos Island by 3pm to return to Cedros Island. (San Benitos is the "Jurassic Park" of Calico Bass.)

Cedros Sportfishing is an All-Inclusive fishing adventure.
Alcohol and Gratuity are not included.
Not all cellular phone plans are created equally! Check with your carrier to avoid roaming charges, or put your phone in "Airplane Mode".
We have bottled water available.
Use bottled water for brushing your teeth.
Use the ice cubes from the kitchen.
When drinking anything from a can, please wipe off any residual ice water from drinking area.
The small fridge by the coffee maker in the dining room has sodas, gatorades and bottled water. Please don't be shy, ask the crew for anything you need.
Richard is our translator.
If you want anything from town (beer, tequila, rum, tortillas), please let Richard know and he will be happy to drive you.
Most places on the island will accept dollars, but for purchasing items like beer, alcohol, tortillas, etc., pesos is the way to go.

I have an APP on my phone that does the conversion. It's Dollars to Pesos by Adiante Ventures.
Please tip your panga captain daily as you may have a different captain the next day. For the most part, you will have the same captain.  On the last morning after breakfast, our crew will have a gratuity jar available in the dining room.
We have a minimum of 10 crew members to serve you.
They will accept Dollars or Pesos for gratuity.
*Housekeeping will service your rooms daily.
There are towels in your room.

Your rooms have blow dryers. (You're welcome ladies! ;o) )

The outlets and electricity are the same as the U.S.

***Please note: No toilet paper in the toilets.  Please use the covered trash can in your bathroom. They will be changed daily.
No rod tubes.  Please use rod sleeves and bundle your rods together or you can wrap your rods with beach towels.
Weight limit on the aircraft is approximately 35#. (The aircraft only holds so much, we have to be able to get off the ground. And, we want you to be able to bring back fish. Remember, there is laundry service at the lodge.)
Please pack light. (You don't need to bring your 60# SKB tackle box) We fit everything for 2 of us in a small soft sided tackle box and our reels go in a duffle bag. There is a small tackle shop on the island. Richard can get a hold of them if you need anything. We also have a few items available at the lodge.

DO NOT BRING LEAD SINKERS! We have lead sinkers available for you to borrow at the lodge. (I am trying to find every way possible to keep "weight" off the plane.) There will be an assortment of 2oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz & 10oz lead torpedo sinkers.  "Check Out" a set.  Please remember to give them back to Richard at the end of your trip so the next group will have sinkers to use.  If you have lost any, please throw me a buck or two so I can keep a good supply available for everyone to use.

We have some tackle available from Phenix Bait Company & HookUp Baits & Cory's MC Swimbaits. If you would like to purchase any, check in with Richard.

Again, pack light. We have a daily laundry service available. Please put your laundry in the white bag provided and put it on the end of your bed.

Our cooks serve local favorites, the same dishes they serve their own families. If you are fortunate enough to share a fish with the kitchen...ask for ceviche, it is wonderful! And yes! You have to put the mayonnaise on the chips...yum! Chips are made fresh daily. Dang they're good.
The tortillas are made fresh daily on the island and are epic! Best I've ever had!
On one trip, we took over 40 packages home! Yes, seriously... Take some home!

Breakfast, Lunch, Snack and Dinner Daily.
Lunch will be packed to go on the pangas.
3 anglers per pangas and they have flat bottoms.
Bring Sabiki's for making bait.
Bring 3-4 rod and reel combinations, hooks, lures (light & heavy), plastics, weedless and regular leadheads. Please check our website under GEAR.
The crew will rinse your gear clean after returning everyday.
Fish processing is included and all fish will be frozen.
Do not bring a cooler to the island, but please have a cooler in your car at your drop off point.
There are 99 steps down to the beach. The steps are by the BBQ area.
There are mosquitoes and if you are like me, you'll want to bring insect repellant or wear long sleeves. I even have to spray my toes and feet.

Rosie Flowers
General Manager
Cedros Sportfishing, LLC
rosie@cedrossportfishing.com

619-772-7570
5663 Balboa Avenue #493
San Diego, CA 92111

alantani

QuoteRosie Flowers <rosie@cedrossportfishing.com>
To:
Cedros Sportfishing

Aug 9 at 8:28 AM

Hello!

This is your Final Roll Call for your fishing trip departing on Monday, September 3rd, with Cedros Sportfishing! 

Cedros Sportfishing is extremely pleased that you will get to experience our new direct flight from the CBX Otay Mesa, California through the Tijuana International Airport. I will meet you at the CBX (CrossBorderXpress), on the morning of your departure (unless you have made other arrangements with me)  with your Visas, Mexican Fishing Licenses, airline boarding passes and your CBX passes. 

Meeting Time:  8:15am, Between the buildings in the atrium area by the Starbucks
                Plane departs by 11:00am

Meet At: CBX (CrossBorderXpress), 2745 Otay Pacific Drive, San Diego, CA 92154

*  I will be there for your departure and your return.
*  I will have your Visas, Mexican Fishing Licenses, boarding passes and your roundtrip CBX passes. You will need these passes to use the CBX, roundtrip! (If you lose your CBX pass, you are responsible to purchase a new one.)
*   CURRENT VALID PASSPORTS ARE REQUIRED
*   Parking is $20 a day and is secure just like the LAX and San Diego Airports. Carpool, get dropped off, or make arrangements.
*  The CBX is located in Otay Mesa, California in the United States.  Parking is also in the United States.
*   I will be waiting at the front of the CBX.  Drive your vehicle to the front of the CBX, unload and/or dropped off your tackle with me or your group and then go and park your vehicle.
*  Keep your coolers for your fish in your vehicles.
*  There are carts available at no cost at the CBX to use to get your tackle, gear & luggage across the skybridge.  Usually 2 to 3 anglers gear/luggage will fit on 1 cart.
*   Porters will meet you at the top of the skybridge elevators on the Tijuana side of the CBX to collect all your gear/luggage. PLEASE KEEP YOUR CARRY ON LUGGAGE! The porters will be taking your items through Immigration,         the conveyor belts and to a secure area where it will be transfer to the aircraft, please give the Porters a few bucks each as a gratuity as this is the way they make their income.
*   Your fish will fly back with you in cooler bags.  After you transfer your fish to your cooler, I will need to get the cooler bags from you as they are our rotating stock. 
*  Please remember to pack light, this goes for gear & clothing. We have a laundry service.  If you pack lightly, more fish can come home with you.
*  Please adhere to all fishing limits and regulations and/or Catch & Release.  Limits are posted on the back of your fishing license. (FYI, Calico Bass are slow to grow!)
*  The aircraft has cargo limits. We try our best to get all fish caught back with you.  On the rare occasion the weight limit is exceeded, fish is the first item taken off the aircraft.
*  WiFi password at the lodge is: Hookupnow  We are on an island, in Mexico, and the WiFi, at times, can be challenging.
*  Depending on your cellular service, to avoid roaming charges, keep your phone on Airplane Mode.
*  I want YOU on our Facebook, Instagram and Website pages!  I am grateful for any pictures that you can send my way, especially while you are still on the island. Text to 619-772-7570 or Facebook Message to my Personal Facebook page, yes, really, my name is Rosie Flowers.
*  There is a currency exchange at the CBX if you would like to get pesos.  I do suggest that you get some for any items you would like to purchase in town.
*   Now that we have our own charter plane, you will not be charged for extra rods or weight, BUT, we still have to be mindful of how much weight we bring.  The plane needs to safely get off the ground!
*  Please remember to pack light, a couple pairs of shorts, shirts, a jacket or sweatshirt, hat, sunglasses, SUNSCREEN, toiletries... There is laundry service and the lodge, Richard, our translator, will explain how it works when you get there.

Here are your room reservations:

The Suite: Rachel Todd & Elmer Mun
Casita 1: Jeff Randall & Chuck Bucey
Casita 2:  Rob Schneider & Ron Jones
Upper House 1: Alan Tani & Todd Johansson
Upper House 2: Peter Young & Mark Thomas
Upper House 3: Richard Gunderson & Mike Pate

If anyone is interested in Cedros Sportfishing t-shirts, they come in all the usual sizes and are available in Black, White, Royal Blue and Gray, they are $20 each. (Yes, they have pockets!)  Long Sleeve shirts (Black, White & Gray) and hats are $25. Just give me a reply and I will have a shirt available for you the morning of your departure.

Please carefully read this section in it's entirety as everything is either informative or important.

Directions to the CBX: 805 South, Merge onto the CA-905 East, Take Brittania Blvd exit, Turn right onto Brittania Blvd, Turn left onto Siempre Viva Road, Arrive at the CBX at 2745 Otay Pacific Drive.

At the CBX,
   Pull up to the front of the CBX.
   Put all Gear, Tackle, Duffle Bags on carts, they are free of charge. Carts are big enough that two or more anglers can share.  That will leave someone with empty hands to hold fishing rods.
   Have your Airline Boarding Pass (Roundtrip) and CBX Pass (Roundtrip) ready.  YOU WILL NEED BOTH OF THESE TO GET BACK TO THE U.S. THROUGH THE CBX!  They may also ask to see your Visa, it will be in your envelope.
   Next, just like the U.S., "most" items will need to go on the conveyor belt/Xray machine.
   After that, head up the Elevators and across the skybridge.
   On the Tijuana side of the CBX airport, Michel & Hugo will have the porters available to take your luggage. The porters will take your gear, tackle & luggage to a van that drives it directly to the airplane. 
   ***KEEP CARRY ON ITEMS WITH YOU***
   We must adhere to all travel regulations like we do in the U.S.  No water bottles, oversized shampoo bottles, etc.
   If you would like to take a bottle of alcohol, securely pack it in your luggage.  Bubble wrap is your friend!
   Next stop is Immigration. Have your Passport and Visas ready.  You are in Mexico for less than 7 days, you are fishing on Cedros Island and there is NO VISA FEE.
   As you exit Immigration, Michel Reyes will meet you to guide you the rest of the way.
   As you are going through the airport, there are a couple places to purchase snacks or meals.  If you would like to purchase something, let Michel know and she will stop with you. Please do your best to stay together.
   Michel will guide you through to a private part of the airport where your luggage will go down a conveyor belt to a van that will take your gear and luggage to the aircraft. Keep your carry on with you.  You will have the opportunity, as the plane is getting loaded, to get anything you need out of your luggage, just let Michel know.
   We must adhere to the same TSA checks that we do in the United States.  No water bottles, large shampoo bottles, knives, hooks, alcohol, etc.  Put all that in your luggage that goes down the conveyor belt to the aircraft.  If there is something that you need from your luggage, once you get to the aircraft, you'll have a chance to grab it, please let Michel know.

There are no restrooms on the plane! Use the restrooms in the aircraft before the plane departs!

Flight Departs: 11:00am and the flight is approximately 2 hours.

Once you land, please walk over to the Cedros Sportfishing van, there is a cooler with colds drinks, please help yourself as the aircraft is being unloaded.  Please note that there is a drug sniffling canine that will go through your luggage.  Just because medical marijuana is legal in the U.S., does not mean it is legal in Mexico.  Our crew will get your gear and luggage, load it into our trucks and van and take you to the lodge. A heavy appetizer/lunch will be provided once at the lodge.

Richard will be driving you to the lodge, only 10 minutes away... I suggest you have him stop for beer in town as it is on the way, nothing better than a cold Tecate on an island in Mexico!

Flight Home:  Your flight departs Cedros Island at approximately 7:30-8am in the morning. The crew will let you know what time breakfast will be and what time the van will be departing for the airport.

Please have your Passport, Airline Boarding Pass and CBX Pass on you when flying back from Cedros Island, you will need to show all these items as you go through the immigration/customs check.  This will help to expedite the crossing back to the U.S.. Do not put it in your checked luggage.

***EXTREMELY IMPORTANT***
On the return flight from Cedros Island:  When the flight arrives at the Tijuana International Airport, you must stay in or by the aircraft until Airport Personnel and Michel arrive at the aircraft.  The airport provides an AeroTram service that will transport you to the secure area of the airport, as if you were a commercial passenger.  This keeps you in the "TSA" section of the Tijuana International Airport and allows you to use the CBX back to the U.S.

Your luggage will be picked up by airport personnel and taken to the Luggage Claim area inside the Tijuana International Airport. Michel will ride with you in the shuttle, have the porters gather your luggage and take it to the CBX where it will be transferred back to the CBX carts. You MUST meet the Porters at the top of the escalator/elevators to bring your items back with you.  Again, please give the Porters a few bucks.

Use the least amount of carts as possible to leave some hands free to carry the fishing rods and then go through customs/immigration. Again, tell the officers that you were fishing on Cedros Island (and that you caught the jackpot fish! LOL) and then you're home free!  Guests have asked me about a SENTRI pass.  If you have one, go ahead and bring it, but customs usually isn't too crazy, the average wait is 8-10 minutes. I'll be waiting for you as you return back through to the CBX.

The entire return process, from the plane landing to returning to the CBX will take approximately 45 minutes.

When these trips were originally booked/planned, we did not have our own chartered aircraft.  Now that we do, we no longer have to pay the extra $6 charge per fishing rod or the $1.65 a pound for overweight baggage. Definitely a huge money saver!  Not only have we saved our anglers up to 15 hours in round trip travel times, but the best thing is... We now have the opportunity to fish the first day!  Since fishing was not originally in the charter package cost for the first day and some anglers don't want to fish the first day, we spoke with the panga captains to get a price for fishing the first day.  The cost is $150 per panga for a half day fishing, 3 anglers per panga...so $50 per person, NOT INCLUDING GRATUITY, if 3 anglers are on the panga.  If anyone would like to fish the first day, please let me know so I can make the arrangements.

Anglers fishing the first day are:  Everyone!

The weather is gorgeous right know...warm, a slight breeze and a little humidity, but always bring a light jacket for the early mornings on the water.  There is air-conditioning in every room, please keep your doors closed to keep that cool air in! The water is warming up, feel free to swim or hang out with the locals at the beach!

Most of all... Relax, enjoy the view, especially the sunrises, have fun fishing in a preverbal sleepy little fishing town on Isla de Cedros...the locals are warm and gracious, our crew is your family and...

Mi Casa es Su Casa!

Rosie Flowers
General Manager
Cedros Sportfishing, LLC
rosie@cedrossportfishing.com

619-772-7570
5663 Balboa Avenue #493
San Diego, CA 92111

Ron Jones

I was just about to post this! I am so looking forward to this.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"