cedros sportfishing - date changed to september 3-7, 2018

Started by alantani, January 27, 2018, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldoret94

I plan on bringing a Shimano Bait Runner 12000D with 50lb braid with 30lb mono top shot on a Phenix PSW-760M; Diawa Lexa 400XS with 50lb braid on a Jaws 8' rod; Okuma Andros 12SII with 60lb braid on a UC 76 Predator.  Considering bringing my Avet SX Raptor with 40lb braid as well.  Counting the days ;D

Pete

Ron Jones

Questions:
I have fished SD/Northern Baja from really small boats quite a bit. My preferred rod length is as long as possible and I've never felt hampered by a long rod in a small oat. The more I read about Panga fishing, the more it seems that short rods are preferred, should I only bring 6 footers for the boat?

Second, it seems there is some dock fishing to be done. Does anybody have any experience down there as to rigs, bait etc. Sitting on a dock watching a rod while drinking a beer is about as relaxing as it gets.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on August 09, 2018, 07:26:53 PM

Casita 2:  Rob Schneider & Ron Jones

so, do we have a member with the same name than the movie comedy star?
The Baja Guy

MarkT

Quote from: Ron Jones on August 20, 2018, 05:03:24 AM
Questions:
I have fished SD/Northern Baja from really small boats quite a bit. My preferred rod length is as long as possible and I've never felt hampered by a long rod in a small oat. The more I read about Panga fishing, the more it seems that short rods are preferred, should I only bring 6 footers for the boat?

Second, it seems there is some dock fishing to be done. Does anybody have any experience down there as to rigs, bait etc. Sitting on a dock watching a rod while drinking a beer is about as relaxing as it gets.
Ron
I don't have a problem with 8'ers on the Pangas. Shortest rod I've used there was a 6'6" 6465h.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Wally15

Quote from: MarkT on August 14, 2018, 03:17:44 PM
Mike, I have a Battle 6K and a Shimano Teramar TMS-80XXH with 40# on it.  I caught YT on it at Benitos a few years back.
Thanks for the offer, Fish Hog, but I need to start using my reels. I keep flying to the west coast and using boat rods and/or loaners. My reels are becoming expensive paperweights. I'll confine myself to just using some of your tackle  :)
Peaches
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Wally15

Anybody want/need a NIB soft sided cooler to bring back fish? I purchased two of these a year ago but haven't used one of them. I use mine as a suitcase going out and a cooler for fish coming back. It has kept fish frozen for up to 12 hours flying back from the west coast. It only weighs 3 lbs empty. I've carried 45 lbs of frozen fish back from PVR and SAN with room to spare with no problems. No wheels, so you have to CARRY it. Should work great for the charter flight to/from Cedros.
Here's the link:
https://www.amazon.com/NorChill-Soft-Sided-Cold-Cooler/dp/B00LAH5J94/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1535028178&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=norchill+48&psc=1
I paid $72 each (on sale) and I'll let it go for $60 and a cold Tecate or shot of Don Julio. And I'll even bring it to SD.
Mike

"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

MarkT

You don't need to take it to Cedros.  You need a cooler in your car at the airport.

Wally15

Quote from: MarkT on August 23, 2018, 01:34:29 PM
You don't need to take it to Cedros.  You need a cooler in your car at the airport.

I assumed they meant hard sided dedicated fish coolers stayed in the US. I was planning on this being my "suitcase" with my 35# weight limit going out. And I wouldn't need to use their returnable cooler coming back. I guess I'll wait for Rosie to chime in with her recommendation. If no, I'll just have to leave it in someone's vehicle at CBX. My car will still be in Atlanta.  :)
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

MarkT

One of Rosie's bullet points...

*   Your fish will fly back with you in cooler bags.  After you transfer your fish to your cooler, I will need to get the cooler bags from you as they are our rotating stock.

MarkT

You all got the email from Rosie saying that CS won't be providing sinkers and to bring your own?

ldoret94

Yep, don't plan on bring a lot.  Some sliders and a few torpedo's

scrinch

Rosie suggests 4oz, 6oz, 8oz, and maybe a 10oz. I'm going to bring 2-3 of each.

MarkT

Wally15

Quote from: MarkT on August 27, 2018, 04:35:30 PM
You all got the email from Rosie saying that CS won't be providing sinkers and to bring your own?
I'll bring a few. That's pretty crappy not to replace borrowed stuff that's lost. Ends up inconveniencing all of us.
Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor