cedros sportfishing - date changed to september 3-7, 2018

Started by alantani, January 27, 2018, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

Quote from: ldoret94 on August 09, 2018, 04:55:51 PM
I know the Boss wants to target yellows as do I, but wondering if anyone is interested in trying San Benitos?

Pete
I'm up for a SB day trip. Let's check wx and fishing conditions when we get to Cedros. We can target Calico Bass plus we caught some huge "home guard" YT's between the islands back in '15. They've probably grown a lot in 3 years  ;D
Sea lions were a real problem, however.
Wonder who that shady character is in the background of the attached pic????
Mike Pate

Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

ldoret94

scrinch

Hardy Boy

Todd

Wally15

I was planning on bringing one spinning reel (Penn Battle II 5000) but I just checked and CS only rents baitcaster rods. So Plan B is to bring 3 baitcasters:
Shimano Curado 300DSV - 30# (40# Fluoro topshot)
Okuma Andros 5iia 2 spd - 40# (40# Fluoro topshot)
Okuma Andros 12iia 2 spd - 50# (60# Fluoro topshot)

I'll match the Curado with one of their Okuma SCTi-C-801H rods and pair both Andros reels with their SCT-C-701H rod.
I'm not flying 3 rods from Georgia to Cedros without a rod tube.
Since I haven't done this type of inshore fishing before, especially kelp beds, do these sound like decent setups?
I'm old and somewhat out of shape, so the 2 speeds are my friend!
See you guys in about 22 days.
Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

ldoret94

Just wanted to make sure it was clear to everyone, I have a double booked at the Vagabond for the night of 2 September.  If anyone is in need of a place to sleep that night, first to let me know gets it.

Mike,

Think your choice of reels will do the trick!

Pete

Hardy Boy

I need a bunk Pete. Alan offered a cot but a bed would be better. I sent you a pm als.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Ron Jones

I'm going to get a room on base or at the lodge. If anyone wants to split or eeds a room I'm happy to help out. Lee, the Phat Ba$$tard and I stayed in one room at the lodge in 14.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ldoret94

You can definitely bunk with me Todd.  Looking forward to the trip and meeting those I haven't yet met.

Pete

alantani

you guys won't freak out if i just bring two spinners, right?   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wally15

Quote from: alantani on August 14, 2018, 06:31:07 AM
you guys won't freak out if i just bring two spinners, right?   ;D
You wouldn't happen to have an extra 30-40# spinning rod you could bring along and loan me, do you? Maybe a 7'er. That way I could bring my Penn Battle 5K.
CS apparently doesn't have spinning rods as loaners. I could let you use the Andros 5 that was a gift from your dad.

I'm heading out to Chicago this AM for a reunion of the 101st Airborne guys I served in VN with. So I'll be out of touch until Monday. Bunch of 70 year olds acting like a bunch of 20 year olds. Chicago ought to bring back some not-so-fond memories of VN firefights.  ;D
GA Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

ldoret94

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Mike, I have a Battle 6K and a Shimano Teramar TMS-80XXH with 40# on it.  I caught YT on it at Benitos a few years back.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

scrinch

I'm planning on bringing:

Slammer 760L spinning reel on a cheap, tough 7' Ugly Stik rod - 50lb braid with 30lb mono
501 Jigmaster with double dogs and steel innards with Bryan's 5-stack on a 8' Okuma PCH casting rod - 65lb braid with 40lb mono
Baja Special with double dogs on a 7' Penn rod - 90lb braid and 50lb mono

Do you think is will cover it? I could go smaller on the spinning reel (5500ss) for a little more sport with the calico's, but they say that we'll be fighting the kelp and 30lb mono is a little much for the lighter reel. And the Jigmaster won't be a great casting reel, but it's light and I hope that the mods make it appropriate for 40lb mono.