Newell S332 custom: How much drag?

Started by jjdbike, January 27, 2018, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdbike

Hello Bryan & friends:
I'm customizing a Newell S332 w/ a Tiburon topless frame, a Pro Challanger 3.6 gear set & Bryan Young Ultimate Drag set.
How much drag would you guess I might safely get out of this?
Are there any other upgrades that might help improve it's performance?
Thanks!
JD

mikeysm

Don't forget Tom's stainless steel gear sleeve.

Mike

jjdbike

Quote from: mikeysm on January 27, 2018, 09:42:45 PM

Mike
Thanks!
Please foregive my ignorance but is that compatable (will it fit) w/ Pro Challanger 3.6 gear set?
Where can I find & putchase that?
Thanks again!
JD

Bryan Young

Don't worry about the gear sleeve. It's not needed unless you stripped yours.

For your reel, it's safe to say that 18# would be a good maximum useable range. It can and will go up to 25# but not many people should fish that reel at such high drag numbers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jjdbike

Perfect,
Thanks Bryan.
So I'm spooled w/ 50 lb braid. 15lbs of drag would be close to 1/3 of the line strength. Don't really even fish w/ that much drag. Just wondering how much I could lock it down if needed, e.g. a hot fish, of a non-target species while bottom fishing.
JD

Swami805

On an S the weak link is the graphite spool, you might consider an aluminum spool.It will hurt your freespool a little since it's heavier but much stronger.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jjdbike

Quote from: Swami805 on January 27, 2018, 11:02:32 PM
On an S the weak link is the graphite spool, you might consider an aluminum spool.It will hurt your freespool a little since it's heavier but much stronger.
Thanks Swami,
Where would you suggest I look for an aluminum spool for my S332? Should I start another thead asking this question?
In the areas I sometimes fish, occsionally these are bycatch that are real tackle busters.
I'd like to elinate any "weak link" I can (other than me : )
Thanks!
JD

Swami805

Randy at vintage offshore tackle on here likely has a few.Shoot him a pm. If you haven't bought a frame yet he can get you one too. You might consider a tiburon handle, nice up grade and stronger than the stock graphite one.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jjdbike

Quote from: Swami805 on January 28, 2018, 02:26:52 PM
Randy at vintage offshore tackle on here likely has a few.Shoot him a pm. If you haven't bought a frame yet he can get you one too. You might consider a tiburon handle, nice up grade and stronger than the stock graphite one.
Thanks Swami,
I PM'd him.... I think. Still trying to figure out the PM system here.
JD

r8rs4lf

I have a P332 waiting for Bryan's drags.

I just finished changing drags on my P220 and G220. Went from 10-12#'s (factory) of drag to 26-27#'s (Bryan's 5+1) using a Shimano 50# scale. Quite impressive although I doubt I'll ever use that much with my set ups.

jjdbike

Quote from: mikeysm on January 27, 2018, 09:42:45 PM

Mike

Thanks.
Where can one purcahase said SS Gear Sleve? Will it fit 533 4.6 w/ Pro Challanger 4.6 & S332-5 w/ Prochallanger 3.6 or are they different sleeves?
JD

Newell Nut

Quote from: jjdbike on January 27, 2018, 10:14:47 PM
Perfect,
Thanks Bryan.
So I'm spooled w/ 50 lb braid. 15lbs of drag would be close to 1/3 of the line strength. Don't really even fish w/ that much drag. Just wondering how much I could lock it down if needed, e.g. a hot fish, of a non-target species while bottom fishing.
JD

JD,
Don't worry too much about the reel. I personally gun a little heavier than necessary and I say that because my wife can catch some really big red snappers with her 332s with Bryan's drags and graphite spools. If you have ever fished for red snapper on the reef you know how hard they can fight. I pulled an 8 foot shark one day for my wife since she is a light weight. They can handle big amberjacks as well with no problem. Don't let anybody here scare you.

Dwight