Main Menu

Started by aquarianwolf, January 27, 2018, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquarianwolf

Hi everyone,
Im new to the board. I have been repairing and upgrading my baitcasters for a few years now and this site always has great info, tips and knowledge. Most of my reels are baitcasters, Shimano Curado 201Bs, Chronarch 101As, Chronarch 101SFs, Curado 101B and Ds and the like. I am reading up on carbon drag washer upgrade and am going to try it. I have found a place in Australia that has it in sheets but I am not sure if I need to order .50mm or .70mm to swap out my felt washers. If anyone can throw some advice my way would be greatly appreciated. I thought to go the sheet way because of being able to do more reels for cheaper cost. I have almost 20 reels.
Thanks again and Hello.
P.S. I am from Aurora Ontario hello again!

alantani

welcome!  also, smoothdrag.com will ship anywhere.  get those.  cutting your own drag washers is a miserable proposition.  i avoid it as much as possible.  . 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Welcome aboard!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Hi and welcome from the UK. For carbontex sheets i usually buy from the downriggershop in Oz - the price they quote includes shipping anywhere in the world. Dawn at smoothdrag also does sheets, I think cfdrag on ebay does em as well, but shipping from the US is getting criminal. If you are going to make a lot of cf washers a set of wad cutter punches is the way to go. Cutting drilling and sanding cf is nasty. If you have calipers (or micrometer) measure your washers to see if you need .5mm, .7 or 1mm sheets. No calipers put the metal and felt washers together and measure the overall height of the stack with a ruler. As a guide - For a three stack remove 3mm, for the metal washers - divide the remaining thickness by 3 to get the cf thickness - probably .5 or 1mm.

aquarianwolf

Thanks alot for the info, I will check with Dawn at smooothdrag also.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

aquarianwolf

Quote from: alantani on January 27, 2018, 06:20:27 PM
welcome!  also, smoothdrag.com will ship anywhere.  get those.  cutting your own drag washers is a miserable proposition.  i avoid it as much as possible.  . 
I get what you mean Alan especially if one does so many reels as you do it would be tedious. I would like to try it and see if its economical and maybe fun at the same time.

Tiddlerbasher

If you are sanding or drilling cf it gets 'very itchy' very quickly. Dawn has a list of washers, by size, that she stocks. Measure your washers and put in a bulk order - much better on the shipping and on your skin/lungs ;)

aquarianwolf

I see what you mean Tiddlerbasher, didnt realize it could get a bit dusty lol. I suppose if I had wad punchers would be much less mess. But, I would need to find the right sizes lol. Dawn seems to be the best answer I guess! Thanks.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Hi.

If you are forming CF washers with abrasives, I use a bench sander,  use a vacuum to collect the dust so your lungs don't.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Benni3

Welcome from Salem Virginia  ;D

Alto Mare

Welcome aquarianwolf!

Sal, from PA
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Welcome,  it's all here.  You will be with friends.   Best of luck.😺