Newell S332-5 finding & intsalling aluminum spool??

Started by jjdbike, January 28, 2018, 12:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdbike

Hi folks,
I have a Newell S322-5. I'm having a Tiburon topless frame, a Pro- Challenger 3.6 gear set & a Byron Young Ultimat Drag installed on it.
In another thread here on this site I was told that my weakest link on this S332-5 is the graphite spool & that I should switch in an aluminum spool. Since in some of the areas I fish there is occasionally some tackle busting bycatch, I'd like to eliminate any weak links I can.
Here are my questions:
1. How / where whould I look for an appropriate aluminum sppol to fit my S332-5?
2. Are there any other parts or instalation considerations when swtiching out the stock graphite spool w/ a an aluminum spool for that reel?
Thanks!
JD

Swami805

Just a word of caution. This can get addicting. Here's a stock 332 and what happens when you go down the Newell rabbit hole
Your gear sleeve is plenty strong for the drag upgrade but the stainless one has 10 teeth so it helps eliminate most of the handle sloop
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

You may need a shim or two to properly center the spool. But that's It.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have a good used tested true p332 spool for $45 plus 3.75 for shipping.  Do you want it?

jjdbike

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on January 28, 2018, 05:17:40 PM
I have a good used tested true p332 spool for $45 plus 3.75 for shipping.  Do you want it?
Hey Randy,
Thanks for the offer.
I'm interested.
I'm sending you a PM.
JD

jjdbike

Quote from: Swami805 on January 28, 2018, 03:12:10 PM
Just a word of caution. This can get addicting. Here's a stock 332 and what happens when you go down the Newell rabbit hole
Your gear sleeve is plenty strong for the drag upgrade but the stainless one has 10 teeth so it helps eliminate most of the handle sloop
Wow Bro, that's beautiful.
So my question is if a Newell has a Tiburon frame & handle, Bryan's Drag & side plates, Black Pearl's gears.... Is it still a Newell?
If not what is it?
I undersand you doing that Swami.
I can not find a reel that I like as  much for my pourposes at any price! Light weight, casts awesome, star drag, good gear ratio for woking jigs & winching a stubbon fish off the bottom, pleanty of drag pressure, realtivlely easy to maintain, corrosion resistant....
JD

Newell Nut

Yes it is still a Newell but on steroids with all the upgrades. ;D

jjdbike

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 29, 2018, 09:08:04 PM
Yes it is still a Newell but on steroids with all the upgrades. ;D
Dig it!  8)
JD

SoCalAngler

What do you want for the old spool? I'm fine with those. The only way I'd replace one of those is because it was damaged. Not that aluminum spools are bad, but neither were the composite spools. IMO really not a weak link unless you really plan ramping up the reels drag when fishing that reel. I would fish one of the older 322 spools up to say 15-17 lbs of drag. Realistically I'd probably not exceed 13 lbs of drag, for me that is when I start to look at two speed reels, 

Edit: But, I do back all of my reels with a braid backing, not just Newell's.

Swami805

If I'm using 30lb mono for throwing jigs I use a stock G with the graphite spool at about 8-10 lbs of drag. With the drag kit and heavier line/more drag I use aluminum. Just depends on what you use it for.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Swami805 on January 30, 2018, 02:05:07 AM
If I'm using 30lb mono for throwing jigs I use a stock G with the graphite spool at about 8-10 lbs of drag. With the drag kit and heavier line/more drag I use aluminum. Just depends on what you use it for.

I get it Swami, and yes he is gearing down to a 3.6 from the 5:1 so not the type of jigging reel we use here on the left coast but may fits his needs well. The gear change will offer him more pulling power for sure and so will the upgraded drags.

So with that said, what do you want for the spool and gears jjdbike?

Newell Nut

I fish my Newells hard and with low gears and with high drags. Never had a graphite spool failure. Fished hard since 1992.
Dwight

jjdbike

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 30, 2018, 01:25:45 AM
What do you want for the old spool? I'm fine with those.
Thanks SoCal,
I'm going to hold on to it for now, I want to be sure the used aluminum spool fits well & that I'm comfortable with it's performance.
If I decide to "re-home" it. I'll let you know.
Thanks for the offer,
JD