Imperial Reel questions

Started by Gobi King, December 28, 2017, 10:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I am ready to take apart my first reel for a full do over AT style.
It is an Imperial Reel (Ocean City, Phily, PA)

1. How do I take off the handle? It has a spring loaded detent ball
2. Schematics?

The drag is non-existent, I can to do a drag job and lube, grease rest of it.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

alantani

the big screw at the top of the second photo has to come off. a dime should work!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gobi King

Thanks that worked, the top part came off and could be used to take the nut off.

I took the top off,
Then I tried to take the anti-reverse plate off to access the drag stack, no dice, 2 screws holding the plate have their butts notched,
Should I hold them with a plier while  I turn the screw?  the reel looks like was opened before.

Fichigan

foakes

It would be more effective to use a nut driver or socket on the hex nut -- hold the screw stationary -- then ease off the nut.

This would result in no damage to a nut that is not replaceable easily.

Plus no damage to the screw head trying to force a screw through a notched thread.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Fred,
Thanks, I will attempt it once I back home in a few weeks.

Do reel usually come with notched brass nuts?

I guess I have re-notch it when I am done
Fichigan

Gobi King

Part II

took a deep breath and used pliers to hold the nut and turn it, poof it came off.

Slowly took the the parts off and laid them down on paper towel.

pulled the main gear off and what the flip, I have only one drag lock washer on top of the gear but not on the bottom, there is a funky red gasket on the bottom, the top of the gear has a drag material (rubber like) with the drag lock washer on top.

Please see pic.

1. Do I add a CF drag washer on top of this red washer? grease it?

Fichigan

handi2

If the red fiber washer is in good shape leave it like it is. Don't add anything on top of it. That will throw everything out of whack.

A carbon washer could be used in place of the leather one. If your not fishing the reel just clean it up for a show piece. Be very careful of the soft screws.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gobi King

Quote from: handi2 on February 08, 2018, 11:58:07 PM
If the red fiber washer is in good shape leave it like it is. Don't add anything on top of it. That will throw everything out of whack.

A carbon washer could be used in place of the leather one. If your not fishing the reel just clean it up for a show piece. Be very careful of the soft screws.

The red fiber washer is in perfect shape, so what clean off the oil with some rubbing alcohol and put back in dry?

Yes Sir, I do plan to fish with it in fresh water trolling for some coho this spring :-)

Ok, yes, those screws are super soft, I was very nervous when I was taking off the scored nuts.

I have the main gear in a some warm water with some dish soap to take of the off dried grease right now.

Fichigan

handi2

It looks like the Penn HT-100 #6-60 would fit for that reel. Some of the old ones like that I see that drag washer does fit. A quick measurement would let us know.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gobi King

It fits!

6-60, woohoo.

1. Cals grease on both side of CF 6-60
2. Cals grease hard orange fiber washer too?

Fichigan

handi2

If it's a steel main gear grease all over it to keep it from rusting. Cal's is great for that.
Gulf Breeze, FL

happyhooker

Not sure if you can use this schematic.

Frank

Gobi King

Keith, Yes, steel main gear, it has work getting the old dry grease out of the deep grooves of the gear.

Frank, Thanks for the schematic.

I started out on Friday at 1030 ish, lubed the cf drag with cals, then brushed on yamaha blue on the other parts, assembled the main gear, lined everything up. Screwed the cover the back on and I figured out I put in the dog on wrong.
Take 2 - Took off everything again, flipped the dog and buttons up everything.

I was nearly done till I could not put on the drag knob on, went back down stairs to find a big azz flat head screw driver to hold the shaft while I spun on the drag star knob back on.

1245 am - I eyeballed the belleville washer, I could not figure out which way it went, my brain was slowing down and eyes were half way shut. I just mounted it looking the ol wear marks.

New Drag - Holy Cannolis, the drag was surreal, I mean smooth, and meaty. I put the stuff away and washed my hands and called it a night.

High drag binding, wooble - Next morning after my vege omlette, I put on 17 lb pline mono spool on my Bee Azz spooler and shove the foot under a heavy ottoman to hold it while I reeled the Ocean city by hand.

I was 3/4 full when I had to up the drag and the internals were rubbing from 7 to 12 as I turned it, the rubbing went away if I reduced the drag.

I eye balled the handle and the shaft was leaning to one side and it had a wobble.

So what is the issue here?
Should I tighten the gear stub screw on top of the bridge?

Overall, the transformation was excellent, the reel is usable now.

FYI: the hardest part was all the grease on my fingers and I could not take any pics or do anything else. Next time I need to do it when my girls are up so then can take pics ;-)

Fichigan