Fishing hooks

Started by Reel Beaker, January 28, 2018, 01:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi guys,

was wondering how you guys check your hook sharpness. Read on google that you use your nail to test the sharpness but why would you want to do that and risk the possibility of nicking and damaging your nails. Does anyone has a better approach? Also do you sharpen your hooks or just change your hook when it is no longer sharp?

Miles Offshore

Yes thumbnail, i pull downward if it carches and stops its good!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Miles Offshore

I need to add I only sharpen the big mustads we use for trolling, most other smaller hooks, eagle claws etc come plenty sharp out of the package. I sharpen with a stone, and use a triangle pattern on the mustads.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Gfish

Tip a my finger. Is it "sticky"? Yeah, after a nice manicure and painting wouldn't wanna scratch my nails... Kiddin, really wouldn't wanna dull the point on somethin like my nails, especially right after a sharpening.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Fingernails grow back but you don't want to gouge them too bad, just see if the hook catches or slips.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Miles Offshore

Also after I sharpen i usually use a black sharpie over and around the sharpened point to help lessen corrosion. Also the sharpie is a good reminder and lets you know which have and have not been sharpened. Say out of a box. I dont put out or allow baits in the water without being sharpened first!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Keta

I never sharpen Owner or Gami hooks.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JiggingAk

Captain64-200

Quote from: Keta on January 28, 2018, 02:58:43 PM
I never sharpen Owner or Gami hooks.

Yes , I agree ,the sharpening pattern is often too complicated ,you just make it worse trying to improve those "modern" hooks .
Fred from Biarritz ,

swill88

When a hook is touted as 'chemically sharpened" is further sharpening not advised?

Steve

Keta

Quote from: swill88 on January 28, 2018, 03:21:32 PM
When a hook is touted as 'chemically sharpened" is further sharpening not advised?

Steve

Yes.

Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Most quality modern hooks are sharp out of the packet - if thay are dull I bin them. The type of hooks that Daron uses are too expensive to chuck ;)

Reel 224

I agree with not sharping the new brand of hook, but I still check my hooks with my thumb nail just to make sure.
They have very fine files to sharpen hooks if need be.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

festus

I usually just run the tip of the hook across the pad of my finger, it's easy to tell if it's sharp.  Yes, most hooks are sharp enough already.

philaroman

on the water, the "nail thing" is a quick convenience, to see if a hook should be REPLACED -- I do my sharpening at home...  some Japanese high-carbon can be salvaged, but most can't be restored anywhere near the original chemically sharpened point (esp. not smaller hooks)...  NO!  I don't use my nail, when I'm working on several dozen hooks, at home.

to save your nails, get some PORCUPINE QUILLS (African-BEST, Asian-OK, American - too small):

• made of keratin & smooth, hard surface -- same as human nails
  • EXCELLENT finesse UL float by itself, or stem for a bigger float -- just add cork/foam of desired size/shape
  • EXCELLENT non-metal pick

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xporcupine+quills+-american+.TRS0&_nkw=porcupine+quills+-american+&_sacat=0