T4N1 Finished

Started by handi2, January 28, 2018, 07:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Quote from: swill88 on March 19, 2018, 04:43:28 PM
Great looking setup Keith!

You said 'almost dry' washers. Do you not put much on or just wipe them off real good?

Steve

I didnt use much Cals at all. I did grease the bottom drag washer but the rest are dry. Ive seen the ears of the keyed drag washers wear out too soon. This is on the larger Senator reels. From 9/0 up. The last 14/0 i did are completely dry and he hasn't been back. The first set off greased drags wore out quickly.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

I've seen this on the tabs of drag washers with the springs beneath these tabs eating into the fiber washer. I have wondered if greasing them makes them soft contributing to early wear... Jeff

gstours

Thanks Keith,
I'm wondering if the drag grease might degrade the small ears cf washer?   Great post.🐠

handi2

I'm mainly referring to the large Senator reels like the 9/0 to 16/0. Ive installed at least 30 of the drag inserts. 3 of the larger reels came back with a loss of drag. The ears had worn completely off and the washer was turning. They are not supposed to turn. I'm assuming the grease had softened them enough to wear out. Now they are put in dry with no come backs.

The other reels must not have been used enough.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

I'm wondering if a hex gear insert might be the best?  As a support er of this type butt an actual hex drag gear would be even better.   Maybe some one might make a small production run of these.   But an insert seems more likely for a store bought part.   Nowadays everyone wants it in kit.   ???
   There's some money in it if you had the tools and time .🎣

Alto Mare

In my opinion there isn't anything better out there than the versa drag system. These could be eared as Penn, Adam's, Alan C or Lee.
Doc's hex are also considered versa drag system even though they were hex shape, same principal to all mentioned above.
Doc made it possible for all of us to enjoy here.
I don't believe the design has flaws, this might be the case of  difective carbon fiber material.
At times you might get a bad batch, just like anything else.
Just my opinion.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 21, 2018, 07:59:41 PM
In my opinion there isn't anything better out there than the versa drag system. These could be eared as Penn, Adam's, Alan C or Lee.
Doc's hex are also considered versa drag system even though they were hex shape, same principal to all mentioned above.
I don't believe the design has flaws, this might be the case of  difective carbon fiber material.
Just my opinion.

Sal

Which brings a question and or comment from me anyway. You mention two or three different drag configurations.

!: Are they available? And who has them in stock?} Brain?
2: Are these available in an size ie. Jigmaster, 3/0,4/0 } Brain?

You mention Dock. For us rookies. How do we get in-touch with him?   

I forgot to mention, does the 3/0 and Jigmaster use the same drag system? 

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

:)
Quote from: Reel 224 on March 21, 2018, 09:55:25 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 21, 2018, 07:59:41 PM
I don't believe the design has flaws, this might be the case of  difective carbon fiber material.
Just my opinion.

Sal

Which brings a question and or comment from me anyway. You mention two or three different drag configurations.

!: Are they available? And who has them in stock?} Brain?
2: Are these available in an size ie. Jigmaster, 3/0,4/0 } Brain?

You mention Dock. For us rookies. How do we get in-touch with him?    

I forgot to mention, does the 3/0 and Jigmaster use the same drag system?  

Joe  
You're no rookie, you've been here long, you just need to look around a little more.
Most of the information you've requested is at the for sale section.
As for Doc, he doesn't have anything to do with selling parts, is name is Robert Janssen he's a machinist/ designer that has inspired us with the custom drag kits.
These will work on the 112H and Jigmaster:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16690.msg174416#msg174416
These will also work on both with standard gears
https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-PENN500.aspx (link corrected ~Mo)
Here are the 5:1 gear set from Prochallenger:
https://squareup.com/store/pro-challenger-llc/item/jigmaster-standard-gear-set-kit
Adam at Motive Fabrications was supposed to come up with an insert for the Jigmaster as well, but i'm not sure if it is available yet.

Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Sal: Thank you for catching me up to speed ;) ;D.

How you doing with the snow? We are getting hammered, blizzard conditions now and guess it's 9-10" now.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Three se7ens

My jigmaster kits are coming, as are more of the other sizes.  Im out of the drag washer material, but will have more on the way next week.