Penn Senator 12/0 tank build, busted spool...

Started by JnM Fishing, January 29, 2018, 06:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JnM Fishing

Quote from: mo65 on January 29, 2018, 05:29:37 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 29, 2018, 04:51:55 PM
I'm not sure how you did your test, I know it isn't easy getting it to 80#, I actually couldn't do it and I like to think I'm pretty tough.

It's amazing how hard it is to pull line from a reel under drag...the numbers just don't match up like you'd think. You are tugging with all your back and your partner says "OK...you just hit 25lbs." I'm 6'6" and Weigh 310 lbs...and it's still humbling. 8)

We had the rod 80-130 rod in a metal pipe that is submerged 4ft down in concrete( part of an old shed out back). The line and scale were connected to a winch on my friend's truck.. I would not attempt to fish that weight in any realistic fishing scenario. I don't believe it is safe to push it past 50 with or without a harness.. 

Three se7ens

Im impressed.  I had always figured the frame would be the first thing to give in the big senators, so this is the first I have seen of those kits being tested to max or failure.  Extrapolating the numbers from the smaller kits, Id expect my drag kits for the big senators to top out somewhere around 90-100 lbs of drag. 

When you take it apart, please send me pictures of the drag kit.  Ill send you anything that needs replacing at no cost. 

Shark Hunter

I am still amazed by this.
I don't know how you could get those numbers.
I tested these when Adam first made these available and could pick up an ammo can weighing in at 30lbs or so and it still slipped a little unless you buttoned it down.
I really don't see this reel being fit for anything but the scrap heap after torturing it to that level.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Do you mind posting some pics of the fractured a black aluminum spool and bent the reel seat? It would be nice to take a look at those.
Thanks,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Tom, I think it's safe to say your sleeve cannot be damaged by anyone actually holding the gear.....

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: thorhammer on January 30, 2018, 02:02:00 PM
Tom, I think it's safe to say your sleeve cannot be damaged by anyone actually holding the gear.....

I'm sure of it, I want my sleeves to be the last one you'll ever need to buy.

When someone goes to this length in testing, there is a wealth of information to be had by everyone here. I would love to get my hands on the entire reel as most of the builders here would.

Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Decker

JnM Fishing

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 30, 2018, 10:45:51 AM
Do you mind posting some pics of the fractured a black aluminum spool and bent the reel seat? It would be nice to take a look at those.
Thanks,

Sal

I have the spool, but i had attempted to repair it via TIG welding on the inside of the spool, in an attempt to make it last a little longer but the spool was already structurally incapacitated. It has metal built up over where the crack was since i attempted to make repairs, the metal peg fell out and the spool has minor cracking near the shaft on the inside which i attempted to buff out in a last ditch effort to make it work but my attempts were futile ;D, other than attempting to weld everything is in its same condition following the test, I made modifications to Adams drag stack upgrade, slightly textured each metal washer to increase friction and Pressure. How does one go about putting pictures of this forum??

JnM Fishing

Quote from: Three se7ens on January 30, 2018, 05:48:14 AM
Im impressed.  I had always figured the frame would be the first thing to give in the big senators, so this is the first I have seen of those kits being tested to max or failure.  Extrapolating the numbers from the smaller kits, Id expect my drag kits for the big senators to top out somewhere around 90-100 lbs of drag.  

When you take it apart, please send me pictures of the drag kit.  Ill send you anything that needs replacing at no cost.  

one of the drag washers at the bottom seems to have been dug into on the ears, most likely from pressure but other than that the stack doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it, now the frame and spool... those are toast ;D ;D ;D ;D. I believe that the frame began to give way and that caused flex which in turn applied force on each ends of the shaft and the aluminum wasn't able to handle the applied forces

JnM Fishing

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 30, 2018, 02:10:15 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on January 30, 2018, 02:02:00 PM

I'm sure of it, I want my sleeves to be the last one you'll ever need to buy.

When someone goes to this length in testing, there is a wealth of information to be had by everyone here. I would love to get my hands on the entire reel as most of the builders here would.

Tom

Only thing that could make these reels better after Adam's drag upgrade and your sleeve is a metal frame and side plates... These Bakelite ones just don't hold up to the pressure they warp with the heat