Great she crab soup!

Started by Miles Offshore, January 29, 2018, 08:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miles Offshore

If you dont have blue crabs youcan substitute your favorite mild crabmeat/ fish etc.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Miles Offshore

Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

oc1

I'm sure it tastes great, but real she crab soup has crab roe.  It's not the eggs she carries outside under the abdomen as those are illegal to keep and the eggs have a grainy texture.  You want the roe that is still in the ovary under the shell.  It is full of fat, has a creamy texture and intense crab taste.  When the crab shell/carapace is pulled off the ovaries and roe will be right there on top.  If you are picking your own crabs the roe just gets tossed into the bowl with the meat.
-steve

fishhawk

Quote from: oc1 on January 30, 2018, 07:04:47 PM
I'm sure it tastes great, but real she crab soup has crab roe.  It's not the eggs she carries outside under the abdomen as those are illegal to keep and the eggs have a grainy texture.  You want the roe that is still in the ovary under the shell.  It is full of fat, has a creamy texture and intense crab taste.  When the crab shell/carapace is pulled off the ovaries and roe will be right there on top.  If you are picking your own crabs the roe just gets tossed into the bowl with the meat.
-steve
Steve, that sounds like one that is experienced! LOL

David Hall

Well I have to say I learned something new today!

fishhawk

Steve, is the orange stuff under the shell roe?

oc1

Yes.  There is a thin black membrane that sometimes comes off with the shell or is sometimes left behind when the shell is removed.  Under that, you can see the roe.  Various shades of yellow to orange.

Harris brand canned she crab soup is made with authentic ingredients and tastes pretty good.
-steve

fishhawk

we always thought that was just fat! Kept it anyway for gumbo or bisque
thanx

oc1

It's often called fat and it can feel like fat because the developing eggs are mostly lipid (fat).  If it could easily be removed on one piece like sea urchin or fish roe it would be more versatile; not just for soup.
-steve