where to find line roller bearings

Started by oldtrackster, July 11, 2011, 03:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldtrackster

I have a Stradic 1000 FH and a 4000 FH both are making a grinding noise when taking in line but do not make noise just spinning without line.  I am thinking the line roller bearings are the source of the noise especially since they have seen saltwater over the last couple of years and i have never done maintenance other rinsing with freshwater.

I looked up prices on mikes reel repair and the cost for these bearing is about $40 for shimano bearings.

Questions:

Are there after market bearings manufactured that are upgrades?
Are there other sources for these bearings outside of Shimano that would be cheaper?
Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey

kamuwela

Bryan Young

Check Boca Bearings as well.  They have some pretty small stuff.

You could also check with Shimano.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

bocabearings.com. or go to shimano 877-577-0600.  their prices are not THAT bad.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oldtrackster

Quote from: kamuwela on July 11, 2011, 04:34:45 PM
try mc master carr

Wow that site will be useful for much more than fishing supplies thanks.

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey

oldtrackster

Quote from: alantani on July 11, 2011, 05:49:17 PM
bocabearings.com. or go to shimano 877-577-0600.  their prices are not THAT bad.  

Thanks Bryan and Alan, I can get a kit with ceramic bearings for the whole reel for the cost of what I was able to find on my own.  This site Rocks!

JGB

Smooth drag has them in stainless $7 each

Jim N.

spearo776

i'm also after a dozen or so for okuma salinas. what i'd like to know from those that are more experienced is .full ceremic bearings , are they strong enough under high pressures in the drag area. or should i just get the hybrids for greater corrosion resistance as they have lasted only about 6 mths. secondly - is the price difference worth it for just the corrosion resistance side of things. look foward to replies , aaron - australia

spearo776

forgot to ask- anybody know the size of the roller bearings in the sa80 or sa16000 as i dont have a set of verneers. and mikesreelrepair dont list them.cheers aaron

Bryan Young

For the spool bearings, personally, I would call Okuma to see if they have the brass spool bushings available.  The bearings are a nice feature, but really not necessary for the location. 

Regarding the size, you may want to try calling/emailing Okuma or take out your bearing and measuring it.  Another option is to call Boca Bearings.  They may have acorss reference.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spearo776

ok thanks. the older salina sa80 has a brass bush and 1 bearing though the newer has 2 bearings. thought this may provide a bit more smoothness. so the bush in this instance is a better option, why is that , and i wonder why they changed the configeration to 2 bearings, 'more bearings - better reel'!!
cheers aaron

Bryan Young

My Okuma VS55, VS45, and VS30 main spools have bearings and the free spools came with bushings.  At firsts, I thought I got ripped off.  What the heck, no bearings in the spare spool?  As I though and pondered this over a few nights (yes, I though I was ripped off because half the spools had bushings), I considered 1) how critical is this?  2) Could it be replaced with a bushing for reliability (not having to worry about the bearings), 3) some of my reels that are provided with bushings are actually more reliable than ones with bearings,...

Sure it's nice to have, but I have not seen a difference in my drag smoothness between bushings versus bearings.

Just my opinion.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

There is a considerable amount of difference with bushings vs bearings, but it is only noticeable in a long run. bushings will require almost no maintenance, just a drop of oil every now and then, they actually get smoother with usage. The bearings require  routine maintenance and create more friction than bushings. Your fishing style has a lot to do with it, I prefer bushings over bearings, but forced to use most of my gear with bearings. Some guys customize their reels by replacing the bearings with bushings, but it's not cheap.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Quote...they actually get smoother with usage...
You're spot on there, Alto Mare. I've got a Pflueger Sea King 2288 from somewhere between 1956-59 that has the most spectacular free spool, which I attribute to age and use (and good design, of course).
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer