Wax On, Wax Off

Started by Bryan Young, January 31, 2018, 12:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Looks very interesting to prevent corrosion on the reel foot area. I think I'm going to try this on my reels.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrSgtgRgxYk&sns=fb
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I think I'd heat the frame in a oven to re-melt the wax to control the heat.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on January 31, 2018, 01:24:13 PM
I was thinking of heating the frame in the oven too then dunking the frame and foot of the reel in hot wax then dripping the excess off before cleaning it up. The liquid was should wick into the hot frame crevices.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on January 31, 2018, 01:24:13 PM

I think I heat gun might work too, there are some with different heat settings

this is actually a nice idea, in summertime here all that wax will melt in direct sun by 3 minutes, 115* or more in direct sun.

The Baja Guy

mrwilson99

Guy is sweating buckets! lol
David

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on January 31, 2018, 05:39:53 PM

in summertime here all that wax will melt in direct sun by 3 minutes, 115* or more in direct sun.

That would be a possible issue here. But I like the idea

Gfish

Cool! Finally a use for those artsy perfumed gift candles around the house. Added benifit would be a sweet smelling reel!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

newfuturevintage

Quote from: Gfish on January 31, 2018, 09:50:31 PM
Cool! Finally a use for those artsy perfumed gift candles around the house. Added benifit would be a sweet smelling reel!
Gfish

Man, it smells like a fish died in a Yankee Candle shop!

I should give this a go. I've actually got a wax pot that I use to soak electric guitar pickups (to quiet high-frequency feedback at high volumes). Should be easy to use that in a manner similar to what Bryan suggests (it's about a quart of wax in a folger's can).

conchydong

Now I have a reason to go to the local Brazilian wax parlor. Wonder what the girls will think when I dump a box of reels on the table.

otownjoe

I need to try that on my progear with the hollow spacers between the foot and the frame. They are needing attention every time i service the reel. Thanks for posting this . Joe

newfuturevintage

Quote from: conchydong on February 01, 2018, 12:26:47 AM
Now I have a reason to go to the local Brazilian wax parlor. Wonder what the girls will think when I dump a box of reels on the table.

Naw, totally different thing, that'll just rip the finish off the reels!

akfish

Neat idea. But I have a question: Suppose there is a tiny bit of corrosion under the seat, you don't notice it, and then you apply wax. Will that stop the corrosion or make it worse over time?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

steelfish

Quote from: akfish on February 01, 2018, 05:22:13 PM
Neat idea. But I have a question: Suppose there is a tiny bit of corrosion under the seat, you don't notice it, and then you apply wax. Will that stop the corrosion or make it worse over time?

well, that's a nice call.

in order to prevent that, you can clean the area with lots of dishwasher degreaser, baking soda and vinegar and finish with DNA alcohol, that zone will be real clean and the corroded zone will be open to the elements, but after you apply the wax it will be covered and safe, the corrosion process should stop with the cleaning job.

The Baja Guy

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on February 01, 2018, 07:39:13 PM
This might work where it gets hot.

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Candle-Making/High-Meltpoint-Wax

thanks Lee,

currently Im good cleaning my reels with freshwater, let them dry and spraying some corrision X or Inox oil to the base of the reel where the ribets are, not too messy after you pass a rag clothe to clean the excess or overspray, I actually do it that the same way on rod guides, so far so good.

The Baja Guy