A really neat tool!

Started by STRIPER LOU, January 31, 2018, 09:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

I do a lot of angle work at the shop and old school is usually done with a sine bar, sine plate, or precision ground angle blocks.

Picked up this 10" digital protractor/rule and I must admit its a really neat tool to have and its quick! The rule portion is graduated in 64's, 32's, 16ths, and mm.
To calibrate it just place both scales on a flat surface and flush it out or use the back end of a drill to align the 2 holes in the ends of the scale and zero the unit out.

If a customer is looking for a specific angle and I don't have the blocks its a simple process to use this and cut one out of Lexan. I use Lexan quite a bit as it minimizes the chance of marking the Acrylics and its cheap enough if I should nick one while drilling, I'm not loosing much at all.

Even if I'm going to press in a shaft which is on an angle, I never eyeball it and always make a quick angular block for support.

I had to make 2 angle blocks the other day and using this protractors I was able to knock the out on no time. Out of curiosity I checked them on the sine plate for accuracy and one was in .002 in 6 inches and the second was .004 in 6. More the adequate for this type of work. I've also found it very handy for laying out angles on wood and other woodworking projects. Checking angles literally takes seconds.

This one is the 10" model from Taylor tool works (ebay), around $18. with free shipping and I've just ordered the smaller one today.

Just thought it may be something you might be able to use.

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

Rivverrat

That is one tool that after using a bit you'll wonder how got buy with out it... Jeff

Reel 224

Nice tool Lou..............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Pretty cool, Lou —

Being kind of old school, I generally just use 20 - 22.5 - 30 - 45 - 60 - 90.

If it doesn't fit into those angles — it is above my pay grade.

Mostly just use a speed square for common angles, plus rafter and riser combo build-out solutions.

I can see where this would come in handy —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Jeff And Joe, no doubt its a very handy tool.

Fred, from what I've seen here I doubt there's little that cant be done with your skill level!
The neat part about this tool is it saves time and has the ability to go thru a full 360 degrees. If you have an angle that's tough to get too, because of the 360 deg rotation, allows you to get to it from a different plane and make the measurement quite easy.

At the shop, I have a full set of precision ground angle blocks. They start at 1 thru 5 deg. in 1 deg increments. After that its 5 deg to 45 in 5 deg increments. Sometimes it takes a combination of blocks to get what you need and this can become a bit bulky and even exceed the height of the vise jaws.
This allows me to set and angle from the mill table or even use and angle iron to get what's needed from a different plane.

Definitely a time saver!

Regard's,  ..  Lou

foakes

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on February 01, 2018, 03:10:14 PM
Fred, from what I've seen here I doubt there's little that cant be done with your skill level!

Regard's,  ..  Lou

Maybe, up to a point, Lou —

But that is the difference between  a master machinist and a carpenter.  Wood is more forgiving and "adjustable" than other materials such as metals.

I am just a woodworker.

To me, nothing is more discouraging then watching a framing crew that doesn't know their stuff.

And nothing is more inspiring then watching a professional and well experienced framing crew come to a slab, read a blueprint — then frame a house in a day including rafters — all working together seamlessly without drama.

Unfortunately, in both scenarios — the finished product is approved and passes inspection by the county or city nowadays.

The guys who used to work on the first crew, are now the inspectors!

Quality drops, and they just do not know the difference.

IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall