Yet another 113hxn T4N1 aka "the sleeper 4/0"

Started by steelfish, February 01, 2018, 12:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, I had this idea since Randy was talking about the new 113hnn kit from tiburon.
in my mind I have the plan to make it look like a mini Baja Special but it wasnt a mini Baja Special its more like a Narrow Baja Special (which is already narrow).

anyway, first thing to do was to paint some old maroon easy drag access side plates from dark red to dark Black, I used 3 coats of leather shoes tint/dye, I add a generous coat of tint to a really cleaned side plate (lots of dish degreaser and alcohol) then let it dry for couple of hours and final coat was on next day, then let it dry for 2-3 days (I was busy not didt on purpose).

the sleeper 4/0 comes from the black side plates, people will think this is a low speed 2:1  113 reel with small drag washers, but really inside is wearing the guts from a red sideplate 113h, to make it a bit similar to a mini Baja Special (it looks more like US senator for the silver frame but ooh well..) I installed some 4:1 newell gears I have as spare, I also have the original Steel gears form the reel if I want to change it later.
the rest is all stock parts form a 113h, most of them are new parts, bridge, drag washers, springs, delrin undergear washer, hex SS screws, Boss 5/0 knob, Alan aluminum handle, etc..
I even used the old pitted chrome rings to keep it with the sleeper theme.

It ended up looking much better than I expected, so you will have to excuse me with my tons of pics of every angle, I even will add some comparative pictures aside of a Baja Special to use it as reference on how narrow it is.

they started like this

now they look like this with a little tint help, regular red sideplate on top

newell gears and stock steel gears

someone said 113h are like legos, too many options to chose from, this are not too many upgrades but still many cheap options to make it look different from the rest T4N1 builds, this pic was taken at 2am, too exited to go to sleep.

Vs regular width 113h reel

Vs Baja Special reel width, Baja special looks like a big reel, when the true is its a narrow comfortable reel

you have to look twice to dont confuse the T4N1 kit with a US senator model.

one of a kind, a Blacky 113h senator

between other projects and expenses I will try to get some upgrades from time to time for this reel to make it a real
Sleeper reel, old forgotten Blacky 113 outside and 113h SS guts inside.

...........................Still in progress but I will use it as is as many times I can, a stock 113h can do it all
in this zones.

The Baja Guy

swill88

thorhammer

sweet Alex! let us know how the finish holds up!

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on February 01, 2018, 02:08:55 AM
sweet Alex! let us know how the finish holds up!

you bet.

good thing is that if the finish start to fade away I will just take my black kewi shoe polish paste or tint tube, do few passes on the reel sideplates and on my working shoes at the same time.

so, far with all the yamaha grease on my hands while working on the reel the tint didnt dyed my hands or anything, seems impregnated on the sideplate material
The Baja Guy

Gfish

Excellent idea to make it Silver & Black! Lota people from the East Bay Area buy or get their vehicles in these colors to support the Oakland Raiders football team.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

STRIPER LOU

David Hall

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Pretty Nice !!   Be interesting to see how the tint lasts. But like you said you can do it over as & when needed... Jeff

Vintage Offshore Tackle

One of a kind Alex!  The black and silver look great together.

mo65

Love it Alex! Can't wait to see how the shoe dye holds up...sure does look nice. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

handi2

That's cool Alex.

FYI. Mine held 500 yards of Daiwa J braid 65lb test. The Avet Raptor HXJ I filled next held 475 yards of the same.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

thanks for the info Keith,

I will put as much 80# braid I can fit on it, I remember the Boss saying he put something like 350yds of 80#, I will be happy to fit 300yds, no need for tons of line.

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Compadre where did find the frame screws? Also pm me your address I have something fir you.