Started by steelfish, February 01, 2018, 12:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Nice Alex!
I like the sleeper theme. True stealth.
Reminds me of driving a gray Crown Vic with a police interceptor motor  ;D

Quote from: handi2 on February 01, 2018, 10:00:46 PM
That's cool Alex.

FYI. Mine held 500 yards of Daiwa J braid 65lb test. The Avet Raptor HXJ I filled next held 475 yards of the same.

Keith

And thanks for the info Keith!  I'm torn between 65 and 80lb JB or Powerpro.

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on February 02, 2018, 01:15:27 AM
Compadre where did find the frame screws? Also pm me your address I have something fir you.

https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Flat-Socket-Head-5-40-Screw-304-Stainless-Steel-p/11540000.htm

I got the 3/8" for the left sideplate and 3/4" for right sideplate.

the 3/8" ended up being too short, so you better go with the 1/2" long for left side plate
and the 3/4" long was ok on some holes but in some places 1/8" was sticking outside the frame on the narrow frame zones on the top, so I have to take the screws out and cut 1/8"-2/8" form those screws to keep them inside the frame, if you get 1/2" screws those will help on those parts.

good think I only ordered 25 of each size of the 3/8" and 3/4" long, Now I know I need some 1/2" and 5/8" and few 3/4" more.

I also ordered some 6-40 socket hex screws for the bridge on 5/8" size but ended up being too short too.
https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/6-40-Socket-Head-Screws-18-8-Stainless-Steel-p/24200.htm

so, I used stock screws instead, in my next order I will get some on 3/4" size and pretty sure those will work.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: erikpowell on February 02, 2018, 01:27:56 AM
Nice Alex!
I like the sleeper theme. True stealth.
Reminds me of driving a gray Crown Vic with a police interceptor motor  ;D

haha you Got it, this is more like a Pinto with a v6 3.8 motor, but my goal is to "put a 302 big block v8" on it soon.

The Baja Guy

Smols

Very nice job with that reel Alex! I really like all that you did to it. Like some others, I too am curious about how the dye job will hold up. And I want to see some pictures of some big fish you catch with that reel this spring.

Smols

Bill B

Outstanding brother Alex.....I really like the color scheme and the seemingly tired old 113, but a Runner it is....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: Smols on February 02, 2018, 05:32:47 AM
....And I want to see some pictures of some big fish you catch with that reel this spring.
Smols
thanks amigo, I also want to see this reel catch some nice yellows or groupers, according to my wife I have way more reel than I can handle on each trip, so to convince her that I need them all of them I wil have to take 6 trolling/bottom fishing setups on my next trip  ::) ::)

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on February 13, 2018, 10:14:13 PM
Outstanding brother Alex.....I really like the color scheme and the seemingly tired old 113, but a Runner it is....Bill
you got it just right amigo Bill, hopefully nobody will want to take this reel from the boat rod racks because its an old beatup 113 reel.

BTW, Lee just kindly sent me NC (thanks compadre, you are one of a kind) a SS 113h dog, so I will put it on this reel, as well as some SS 304 hex 6-40 screws for the bridge to complete the whole hex screws kit on the reel, no more sliping flat head screws.
The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

Perfection!  Nice job amigo.  Next to a US113 it would look nearly identical (except for the width of course).  I think one of these is my next project...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

steelfish

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 14, 2018, 03:17:06 PM
Perfection!  Nice job amigo.  Next to a US113 it would look nearly identical

thanks Dan from Philadelphia, you got it, the color scheme is identical to a US senator like yours.
post pics when yours is done
The Baja Guy

sdlehr

Alex, how is the color holding up on this reel? It's coming on close to a year.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Fishy247

QuoteAlex, how is the color holding up on this reel? It's coming on close to a year.

Yeah...inguiring minds wanna know!  ;)

broschro

steelfish

Quote from: sdlehr on December 29, 2018, 06:08:44 PM
Alex, how is the color holding up on this reel? It's coming on close to a year.

first I need to say that I not using this reels everytime I go fishing (thats one problem of having many reels on the same line rating), so, it doesnt have many hours of saltwater splashing over it or handing it or in direct sunlight that can be the cause for the paint to start to fading away, but it I have used it in few trips during 2018, so I will show you how it looks right now.

in the first pic you can see BUT only on direct sunlight, you can see few spots where you can see a little bit of the factory marroon color of the side plate, but I think those spots where like that since the beginning when I tinted the sideplates because I never took the sideplates outside on direct sunligth to check for missing spots to add one or more coats of tint when I dyed the sideplates, I did everything at night so they looked pretty black to me at that time, or maybe is the black tint that is fading away from the saltwater, handling it and direct sunlight who knows, I wasnt really paying attention on how the paint was holding up on these months but if the the paint have faded away a little bit that is a good new for me cuz I never noticed anykind of tint on my hands of clothes while fishing or when cleaning it after fishing, that means the sideplates got really impregnated with the black tint and dont stain at all.

judge by yourself guys

The Baja Guy

Fishy247

Looks like it held up pretty good to me! No dye rubbing off or anything like that, I'd say that we have a different method to change the color on sideplates!
Nicely done primo.  ;D

Mike

RowdyW

I dunno, it looks like dark maroon on my laptop. The base looks black though.     Rudy

Rivverrat

Looks good on my computer. You can see a little of the old color showing through in one spot like Alex all ready pointed out... Jeff