Yet another 113hxn T4N1 aka "the sleeper 4/0"

Started by steelfish, February 01, 2018, 12:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: Fishy247 on January 02, 2019, 09:30:09 PM
Looks like it held up pretty good to me! No dye rubbing off or anything like that, I'd say that we have a different method to change the color on sideplates!
Nicely done primo.  ;D

Mike

thanks buddy, this was just an experiment but it can be improved, next time I might just sumerge both sideplates on a recipient full of black shoe dye (its cheap as chips) for a whole day or even more instead of adding two or three coats as I did.
The Baja Guy

Bill B

Alex, maybe try black clothing dye for the soak....Rit is a common clothing dye.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on June 18, 2019, 10:22:02 PM
Alex, maybe try black clothing dye for the soak....Rit is a common clothing dye.....Bill

dang, I never though on that.

thanks, I might do it on a different set of sideplates and try that out
The Baja Guy

kmstorm64

Quote from: steelfish on January 03, 2019, 01:01:14 AM
Quote from: Fishy247 on January 02, 2019, 09:30:09 PM
Looks like it held up pretty good to me! No dye rubbing off or anything like that, I'd say that we have a different method to change the color on sideplates!
Nicely done primo.  ;D

Mike

thanks buddy, this was just an experiment but it can be improved, next time I might just sumerge both sideplates on a recipient full of black shoe dye (its cheap as chips) for a whole day or even more instead of adding two or three coats as I did.

I am debating doing this with a really crappy set of rings I have at home that are badly pitted.  I will post the results.

Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

RowdyW

I don't think it will work on metal rings, only maybe on the graphite plates.     

Caranx

I did the same thing a few months back. It I used Lincoln black leather shoe dye.
Applied three coats and still didn't have good coverage. It was to a point that should I continue or abandon the project. I rubbed and washed it under the faucet and some dye came off and I wasn't satisfied with the results so I put it off until I came upon this post today.
My side plates were sun faded and not shiny so I don't know if it made a difference either way.
Just my experience.

steelfish

looks like I never mentioned this reel has the octagon insert my compadre Lee made and sold few years ago along with the SS dog from him also.

the drag remained at 22# what seems to be the advertized stock drag for the 113h but its really smooth in all over the drag range, Sal made a lab test on those octagon inserts and was able to reach around 30# (if I recall correctly), I dont want to push mine until upgrading to SS sleeve.
The Baja Guy