Does anyone know what this knot is?

Started by exp2000, February 01, 2018, 09:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

This came in on a reel I just bought.

It looks to be very streamlined with no knots in the leader portion of the join.

Might have some red glue on it?

Quite impressive.
~

thorhammer

exp2000

Rivverrat

Looks like an FG finished with an Albright... Jeff

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

exp2000

Thanks guys.

I never bothered to look at this knot before because the no-name knot was very strong and so simple to tie.

But this knot is ultimately streamlined and even stronger than the no-name knot according to one YouTube presenter.

This would make it perfect for T-wing baitcasters and the like.

Time to get some line out and see what a mess I can make.
_

xjchad

After learning to tie it correctly, I love the FG knot!
Here's the best way I've seen:

Husband, Father, Fisherman

exp2000

Yep, that's the guy I saw.

I might still stick to the no name knot when kayak fishing though.

KISS principle ;)

~

xjchad

Practice a few times at home in a quiet room, then while watching TV, then while your kids are running around going crazy.
Once you get that down, you'll have no problem tying it on the yak  ;)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

xaf

FG but I can't tell how it is finished in the picture.  It looks more complicated then it really is. 

When I was learning to tie it, I broke it down into 3 sections; the cross wraps, the center section (half hitches), and the finishing knot. The cross wraps act like a Chinese finger trap, the more you pull the more the cross wraps bit into the mono/fluorocarbon.  The middle part of the knot with the half hitches holds the braid and mono together making a smooth transition.  The purpose of the finishing knot is really just to keep your half hitches from wearing and unraveling but you want it to be as small and slim as possible  I use a Rizutto finish but there are a number of knots that can be used.  It is a good strong knot when tied properly.

MarkT

Looks like a Rizzuto finish on the FG. A normal FG ends with some half hitches.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Three se7ens

Looks like an FG knot to me, but not a very well tied one.  Here is one of mine, 15 lb braid to 12 lb flourocarbon.  Notice how the braid changes color at the knot, thats how you know its seated tight enough. 

redsetta

QuoteNotice how the braid changes color at the knot, that's how you know it's seated tight enough.
x2 - Adam's spot on, this is the key to solid FG
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Rivverrat

Quote from: Three se7ens on February 02, 2018, 05:44:49 AM
Looks like an FG knot to me, but not a very well tied one.   

I dont think the one in the opening post was cinched down properly immediatly after tying. Also the cross wraps of the braid as the knot was tied were not kept together. You can see this in the braid oppisite the tag end. This knot would still be functional. As others have I question the manner in which it's finished. Goes against one of the biggest reasons for using this knot being it flows through the guides so nicely.

I love knots most weeks my life hangs from them... Jeff  

js1172

how heavy are the lines in the pic? the heavy braid to heavy mono do not tie real neat, but they still hold well, up past 130# braid starts to get ragged looking tying to 100-150# mono.
js
Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, ya might meet them both if ya show up here not welcome son
way out here/Josh Thompson