My First "Collector" Reel

Started by nelz, February 02, 2018, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Until now, I had only purchased reels that I planned on fishing with. However, as a result of reading articles on this site, the thought of picking up a vintage treasure just because of its history has kept me on the lookout at flea markets, yard sales, etc. Well, the other day I spotted an oldie Penn and its "waffle clicker" got my attention, so now I own a piece of ancient Penn history.

Got home and Googled it, it turns out to be a 1933 Seahawk. The reel foot has no markings, is this original? The handle does look original, but the wooden knob is missing; not a big deal, still a nice find.

So I did a full cleanup and lube. Unfortunately I over-did the vinegar soak and much of the chrome came off (first time I tried that method). But still the bakelite is in great shape. As I worked I discovered it's actually a very cleverly designed old reel. While removing the handle, the shaft popped out and I thought "oh no, it's broken" but later realized this thing actually has a free spool mechanism.

The gears are super-smooth and were spotless after all these years and very high quality. I am truly amazed at the quality, simplicity and performance achieved in such an "old tech" reel. But interestingly, there's a touch of "new tech" too, in that it actually has a floating shaft design, making the free-spool amazing! Now if it only had a drag...

Bill B

Great find brother......after the vinegar soak the chrome is about what I would expect.  For an 85 year old reel that's great shape in my book.  The handle will be tough to find, but still a cool piece of history.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

nelz

Thank you sir.

Btw, I'm having second thoughts about calling it a "floating shaft design". I meant that the spool shaft is supported independently from the pinion gear. No, wait, actually the pinion is part of the spool assembly. Ok, whatever, free spool is still great!

Tightlines667

That is a great first 'collector reel'.  You will notice the metal is different, it is (German or Nickle) Silver.  This and the 1937 Sea Hawk are the 2 years this model can be dated to a particular production year.  You only need a few more versions, and you will have the complete prewar set if all the Sea Hawk versions.  In actuality this style of freespool mechanism was consideted inferior since the gears were not in constant mesh and could get damaged when shifting into gear, when the spool is moving.  The mechanism was reserved for only the lowest end economy models after 1933. 

Nice score, and good job on the restoration!

When you replace the handle, be aware there were a few different types of finishes on these early reels (polished, unpolished/tumbled?), be ideal to match the finish and base metal on the replacement part to keep her period correct.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

nelz

Thanks for all that info John.

I had no idea about the metal being different. So I guess they don't make economy models like they used to, I would not have guessed this was one. Yes, I can see how the freespool mechanism can be considered inferior, but was surprised to find one at all. What I found most likely to fail though was that little pin that clicks into place holding the drive shaft in place.

Gfish

Alright dude! Not knowing too much about Penn history, for me the waffle clicker is the kicker! So far I've only found one, a '38 Long Beach 65 Deluxe.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

Gfish, where do you look for them?  I found this one at a flea market, a guy had several tables full of old reels and tons of reel parts. However, he knew nothing about reels or repairing them, I wonder how he ended up with all that???

Gfish

Flea-bay. Like I stated in another post, I think being able to hold it in your hands and talk to the seller, and not pay shipping costs, are a big advantage. I think fleamarkets, yard sales, 2nd hand stores, etc. are a better deal. Somethin 'bout sittin home lookin at a screen/tappin on a keyboard, just don't seem experientially complete to me.
Yeah, how'ed he get all those reels?
I like John's suggestion: a Sea Hawk collection.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Heck of a great find handle or no handle. There's no mistaking the 1933 reels. Love the 3 post configuration
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Midway Tommy

Nelz, you're hooked now, this just the beginning. Nice find!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nelz

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 05, 2018, 04:26:57 AM
Nelz, you're hooked now, this just the beginning. Nice find!

That's just what I was thinking.  ::)

sdlehr

Quote from: nelz on February 03, 2018, 12:10:07 AM
Thanks for all that info John.

I had no idea about the metal being different. So I guess they don't make economy models like they used to, I would not have guessed this was one. Yes, I can see how the freespool mechanism can be considered inferior, but was surprised to find one at all. What I found most likely to fail though was that little pin that clicks into place holding the drive shaft in place.
Nelz, you'll read in Mike C's book about a lawsuit Ocean City Manuf. Co. (Pflueger) threatened over this free-spool mechanism. I think that pin is actually a little ball that is spring-loaded, and I don't think they fail often, I've not seen one that has done so (perhaps they were discarded). Of the two original Penn prototypes, this followed the Model F, and the star drag reels followed the model K (The basic differences between the F and K were the clutch mechanisms, with the model K requiring an eccentric lever for the clutch, but the gears were always in mesh as stated above, which was a better design).
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

nelz

This one has a tiny post with a rounded end. Reminds me of a Calcutta TE's drag click pin, very easy to lose!

Penn Chronology

Great beginning for a new Penn collection. The 1933 Sea Hawk is the copy of the Model F, the first Penn prototype in my opinion.

The plating came off easy because it is not chrome. The 1933 Sea Ford was nickel plated only.

Here is your Model F parts breakdown. Exactly like your Sea Hawk!

nelz

Awesome! That is great to have along with the reel. Thank you Mr. "Penn Chronology". So what is that metal, it looks like copper under the silver?

Btw, I've read many of your posts but still can't remember your name, lol.