Oregon's "Longleader" Rig

Started by Keta, February 03, 2018, 03:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Due to a perceived shortage of yelloweye rockfish Oregon fishermen have lost opportunity to harvest bottom fish in deep water.  In an effort to harvest the abundant mid water rockfish (Widow and yellowtail rockfish) the ODFW has come up with a new fishery using a >30' leader between the weight and the bottom hook.  Leader management will have to be figured out but we now have longer seasons.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/regulations/sport_fishing/docs/longleader_FAQ_2017.pdf

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

thanks for the explanation.  i read the posts on ifish but had no idea what they were talking about. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Not really Bryan, the fish are suspended above hard bottom yelloweye habitat, ODFW is trying to reduce the incidental catch and giving us an opportunity to harvest plentiful ones.  The bottom hooks have to be at least 30' from the weight  and held up by a uncompressible float.  I am making demo ones for the OCEAN booth at the SSS, it will be close to where you and Allen will be chained.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Oh. I was talibding about the by-catch Q&As
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Our regs are so confusing you have to fish with a lawyer.

Mark Twain

El Pescador

AND........    WHO thought THIS was a GOOD idea?????? ???
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Keta

Actually it is, in the past to harvest suspended rockfish we dropped to the bottom then quickly cranked up 30-40 feet.  Our "threatened" yelloweye were so thick that you often hooked 2 or 3 before getting off the bottom.  This will keep most yelloweye off the hooks. Managing the 30' dropper will be a issue.

Our yelloweye are far from "threatened" but I feel that with a fish that is 50-100 years old it is best to manage conservatively. 

Mark Twain

Swami805

At least they're trying to find a way to allow fishing deeper water. In Cali they just close it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Quote from: Keta on February 03, 2018, 05:33:30 PM
Our regs are so confusing you have to fish with a lawyer.

& to think I get upset over our 3 rod limit... Jeff

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

whalebreath

My condolences to anyone hooking a Widow Rockfish and then cooking/eating it-a mouthful of wet tissue paper would taste better.

Hardy Boy

Looks like we will see more yelloweye restrictions here in BC starting this year. Used to be my wife's favorite fish to eat. We are getting more halibut restrictions also this year. :'(

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Keta

Yelloweye are one of my favorite fish to eat too. 

They reduced our halibut quota this year but are doing nothing about draggers incidental catch in their main spawning ground in the Bearing.

Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Deep water in Washington state coastal zones are only open for bottom fishing on halibut days....4 days a year, and if a boat gets caught with illegal rockfish they can confiscate your vessel. Ironically the same fishing grounds grounds are tribally long-lined commercially 7 days a week for 6-7 months a year in an area that is permanently closed because it's prime yelloweye habitat.

Like Lee said, you need a Harvard law professor to translate the fishing regulations
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!