Drilling out knob outs

Started by mrwilson99, January 28, 2018, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwilson99

Hi,

Was wondering what people do with their old knobs when it gets drilled out? Any chance of saving these knobs for other reels since the shaft has been drilled out? I am referring to those knobs that are pressed in, the non-screw-in type.

David

Gfish

The Penn knobs that'er pressed on don't seem to be usable, once they'er removed from the handle. I'm talkin 'bout when you grind the shaft down to remove it from the handle("blade", "arm", etc.). I've saved all mine so some rainy day I can play( probably destroy)around with 'em. Waitin on a thread where someone else developes a method I can copy...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

I leave the handle arm on, chuck the shaft in a vice with the arm under the vice jaws and pry the handle off with something between the pry bar/screwdriver to protect the handle knob.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mrwilson99

I upgraded the knob on my Pro Gear 540, but in the process had to drill out the old shaft. The knob is still good, just wondering if there was any aftermarket options to save this knob/shaft for re-use.
David

Bryan Young

I have a bunch of those handles. I was going to make some type of shafts for them but never got around to do it. Then I thought about making wahoo bombs out of them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Once he is up and running Tom could probably make shafts to fit old handles.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nasty Wendy

I like Bryan's idea of turning them into lures or something else useful.  Honestly if you wanted them as reel handles you wouldn't have removed it for a better one in the first place right?????  Jus' Sayin'.

MrWilson I'd turn that one you have there into a corkscrew. 
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

mrwilson99

I removed the knob from one reel, as that knob is no good for that certain reel, but not necessarily un-useful for another reel. 

For example, the knob I removed could be great for a Newell for a better grip.

Quote from: Nasty Wendy on January 30, 2018, 04:37:26 PM
I like Bryan's idea of turning them into lures or something else useful.  Honestly if you wanted them as reel handles you wouldn't have removed it for a better one in the first place right?????  Jus' Sayin'.

MrWilson I'd turn that one you have there into a corkscrew. 

David

Nasty Wendy

Yeah OK I see now.  If the knob would qualify as an upgrade for another reel that makes sense.  I was going to upgrade the knob on my Tyrnos II 16 and the cost to do so came to the same as buying a take off knob & handle from a Tyrnos II 50.  I bought the 50 handle/knob and it is a serious upgrade to the 16's.  I did put a T-Bar on my Spinfisher V 8500LL.  I tossed that knob without a second thought.  I guess I'm just not upgrading the right reels to want to keep the old knobs.
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

Bryan Young

All you will need is a long screw with a head that fits in the handle but doesn't slip through. Then a rigid tube and 2 nuts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mrwilson99

I will save this for a future project, will concentrate on rebuilding some PGs I picked up first.
David