Fishing Mexican style without rod and reel

Started by festus, February 02, 2018, 12:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I see this technique fairly often especially around dams and power plant dishcharges.  Some of these folks do better than fishermen with expensive equipment. 

thorhammer

There was a guy in here last year that turned some ridiculously nice "bottles' on a lathe, from exotic hardwood. The looked like antique furniture pieces you'd keep on your mantle. He said they worked well. 

Rivverrat

I've most always have have at least 3 lines similar to this set when I'm in new for me spot.  We are only allowed to fish 3 rods. But hand lines are classified differently from rod & reel. More lines in the water more of a chance to see whats there & if it's worth my time... Jeff

steelfish

You're not Mexican if you never used a coke bottle with nylon line to fish.
When I was a kid sometimes I got a fancy soda bottle "fanta" which have a deep groove in which you can wrap your line and it will stay there, the rest of the kids just said, wow you got a nice fishing bottle next time I will buy the same drink on the Store
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on February 02, 2018, 04:16:55 AM
.... the rest of the kids just said, wow you found a nice fishing bottle

Now thats some funny stuff.

Shark Hunter

I can't say I've never fished a hand line, but no bottle was involved.
It was more like a kite string holder.
I also have flown a kite with a fishing pole as a kid. ;D
Life is Good!

scrinch

I went out about 10 miles in a local canoe-sized boat with bamboo outriggers a few years ago to fish with a hand line for dorado. We left from a little beach on the NE tip of the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia. My guide was an Indonesian fisherman, and I speak some Indonesian, but that didn't do me any good because he was deaf and mute.  He taught me the hand signals for fish, shark, turtle, and whale before we left, and that was the sum total of our common vocabulary! He and I departed at 4am, and I got to watch the distant lightning and the southern cross constellation for 2 hours while we slowly motored out. I lay on my back to look at the night sky for part of the trip out, and I swear to you that my butt and shoulders were wider than the boat itself! After we got to our spot, we hand-jigging up some mackerel-like bait, we went off to find some dorado. A few hours of hand-lining live bait brought me 10 small dorado, all just pulled in hand over hand, resulting each time in a big pile of monofilament in my lap. After each fish, I'd wrap the line back on the stick and start over (I guess the captain couldn't afford a coke bottle). I thought that hand-lining dorado would wreck my bare hands, but they were only 5-10 lb fish and so the skin-drags worked pretty well.  So I can confirm that hand-lining works just fine for the right size fish. Not sure what I'd have done if I hooked into a 40lb yellowtail, though!

Rivverrat

Captain64-200

I've seen this bottle technique in many places , in west africa the bottle falling on concrete or harwood (jetties mainly)   when the fish  strike  is very useful at night ,you can hear it from far away.
Don't forget anyway to secure the line on the other end  , a 80 pounds "red carp " (cubera snapper ) can drag the entire jetty in the estuary ... ;D
Fred from Biarritz ,

conchydong

In South Florida Cuban YoYos are quite effective.  You turn the spool sideways and the line peels off like a Spinning reel spool. Lots of big fish have been landed with these.

philaroman

I just use a shoelace, a safety pin, and a booger

Tightlines667

I used handlines as a kid to catch pogies, and Houdfish from shore in Bermuda.  

Here in Hawaii, handlines (usually rigged with some surgical tubing) are popular for trolling off of sailboats, and for catching Aku on flatlines  I used to run handlines when steaming on commercial fishing vessels, and caught a number of Pelagics including Mahi, Aku, Albacore, Yellowfin, Wahoo, Striped Marlin, and Silky Sharks.  All the Blue Marlin bites broke my gear though..lol.  

We also fish handlines when deep dropping for Tuna with a chum bag (Palu Ahi), or with live (squid, Akule, opelu) or dead bait, or even jigging coin jigs deep for tuna.  We also fish bottomfishing (shallow or deep drop).  I use an electric pinch puller (Henry Ching) for retrieving the line from the deep.  

I remember the Vietnamese commercial fisherman using wooden spools with handlines to fish snapper and Covina on the rigs in the 1970s&80s.  

In American Samoa and other south Pacific islands, I have seen many if the smaller commercial boats use home built, primitive wooden reels with and without drag systems.  I posted a photo of these reels somewhere on the site a few years back.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

Quote from: scrinch on February 02, 2018, 06:36:30 AM
I went out about 10 miles in a local canoe-sized boat with bamboo outriggers a few years ago to fish with a hand line for dorado. We left from a little beach on the NE tip of the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia. My guide was an Indonesian fisherman, and I speak some Indonesian, but that didn't do me any good because he was deaf and mute.  He taught me the hand signals for fish, shark, turtle, and whale before we left, and that was the sum total of our common vocabulary! He and I departed at 4am, and I got to watch the distant lightning and the southern cross constellation for 2 hours while we slowly motored out. I lay on my back to look at the night sky for part of the trip out, and I swear to you that my butt and shoulders were wider than the boat itself! After we got to our spot, we hand-jigging up some mackerel-like bait, we went off to find some dorado. A few hours of hand-lining live bait brought me 10 small dorado, all just pulled in hand over hand, resulting each time in a big pile of monofilament in my lap. After each fish, I'd wrap the line back on the stick and start over (I guess the captain couldn't afford a coke bottle). I thought that hand-lining dorado would wreck my bare hands, but they were only 5-10 lb fish and so the skin-drags worked pretty well.  So I can confirm that hand-lining works just fine for the right size fish. Not sure what I'd have done if I hooked into a 40lb yellowtail, though!

that's a really good story.
it remains me to my beginnigs on sport fishing, I started going fishing with a commercial fishing guy when I moved from the big city (mexicali) to San Felipe port (commercial fishing town), I join him on some of his trips to catch fish on big nets and when they stop for few hours we moved to some stops to catch fish with bait, at that time we used handlining with a big wood with V cuts, after few trips I bought my 1st fishing rod in wallyword, it was $24 dls the complete combo and I swear I was going to be the only rod and reel I will buy ever cuz it was very expesive, my wife keeps remain me my words in that episode of my fishing life LOL
good times nevertheless

you still see that wood with many fisherman, they always keep it on reach

The Baja Guy

Decker

I'm a fan of the bottle or can.  Once on vacation with my parents in Boca Raton, FL, we had a house on a canal but no fishing gear.  I fashioned a hook from a safety pin, and used dental floss for line; caught several channel cats on baloney bait.  ;D I want to try the Cuban yoyo some time.  This video is nice with some Son Cubano background music:

Bill B

Amazing stories.....especially the deaf/mute fisherman....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!