the new penn international 50 VISX - i can't remove the shifter retaining collar

Started by alantani, February 16, 2018, 09:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

got this reel to spool up, so i will let you know the line capacity in a minute here, but i was thinking of doing a rebuild post. 

i tried to get the retaining collar for the shifter button off, and it's won't budge.  i don't want to mangle it, so i sent a message into tony at penn to see if i could get a schematic and some advise on how to get the shifter apart. 

yeah, it's tight! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

foakes

Yeah, Alan —

It should just unscrew.

Strap wrench is a good idea.

I generally use a pair of channel locks with vinyl covered jaws — not too tightly squeezed though — and I use a little grease on the threads when re-snugging.

Good you caught it now — because it is so exposed, after a few salt sprays on the water, and allowed to dry — it is much tougher to remove.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

erikpowell

Wow Alan, There's really a strap wrench small enough to take of that little cap?  ??? ???

handi2

Alan I have a few sets of plastic jawed pliers I got from Amazon. I use them all the time for things like this and the Penn bearing caps on the SS spinning reels. On fishing rod aluminum hardware. I hate it when people use channel lock pliers and scratch everything up.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

yeah, the regular strap wrench fit!  never would have guessed.  i'll have to check out those pliers.

Alto Mare

I started using wood clamps whenever able to. Those have been working out the best for me.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

akfish

I want to see its insides too! I have a new 20 that Ill be taking on my upcoming 15 day on the Red Rooster. The reel is smooth as silk and I really like the quiet dogs -- although I do have to wonder how strong they are. I suspect the dogs in the 50 are a bit different. One thing a out my 20: When I set the drag at 25#, it takes some pressure to move the lever. There doesn't appear to be handle bind and the excellent free spool is still there butI don't like how much pressure it take to throw the lever.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Penn

Alan,

All the new VI's come with a new multi tool shown here - http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22282.0
There is a key way on the shift collar and the tool slides right in there.

tony

alantani

alantani