Quick 79

Started by Chuck750ss, February 04, 2018, 12:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Looks like they were made in 74-75. Were they good reels? Any idea what one in pretty good condition would sell for?
Question really should be What  about the entire 77-97 series? Thanks in advance.

Midway Tommy

Those series' were from '72 - '76 and were considered Dam's econo series reels. Not real collectible for display or use. In today's market, $20 to possibly $30 in great condition, depending on which model and if it has its box. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Chuck750ss

Thanks Tommy. That's what I thought. Have you seen the innards on this series reels? Good metal? Zinc-crap?

foakes

The cheapness of these has always turned me off — plastic sideplates, plastic rotors, chintzy drive system, etc...

There were a few like the 79's — 91, 92, 101, 103, etc..all kind of cheaply constructed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Chuck750ss

Thanks Fred. I am continually amazed at the knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge on this board!

happyhooker

More than one of the name reel manufacturers got in the "econo" mode in that early-mid '70s time period.  Mitchell (the manufacturer), reluctantly at the urging of Garcia (the marketer), came out with the 320, which was the 1st "decent" reel I ever had.  I would not call it cheap, but it obviously was less expensive to make than many of their other reels and less expensive to buy too, which was a motivator for a penurious college kid like me.  Plastic rotor, side plate, spool and oscillation slider; ambivalently made A/R; and felt disk drag.  Metal body, bail arms and drive gears.  Somehow, I still have that reel and maybe more surprising, nothing on it ever broke (even the bail spring is original) and the only part I ever replaced was the line guide.  Caught a lot of fish with it, and some nice ones at that.  Can't say I recall ever losing a fish because of the reel.

Frank

festus

The innards of that DAM Quick 79 remind me of the econo South Bend 730 I've had a couple of.