Reel comparison

Started by Chuck750ss, February 04, 2018, 04:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

At one time I had a huge collection of spinning reels. Mostly NIB.

I had all the burgundy colored Shakespeare Sea Wonder reels. They are a fine strong reel. 3 of them had factory manual bails. They made some huge ones.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

festus

Quote from: handi2 on March 19, 2018, 11:31:43 PM
At one time I had a huge collection of spinning reels. Mostly NIB.

I had all the burgundy colored Shakespeare Sea Wonder reels. They are a fine strong reel. 3 of them had factory manual bails. They made some huge ones.

Keith
Keith, do all the bigger Sea Wonder reels have metal spools? I knew some of the later, smaller 2062 spools were changed to plastic.

With all these machinists drilling, slotting, and customizing Penn Spinfishers and some of the larger DAM Quicks I'm surprised they're not doing the same with the bigger Royal Maroons.

Chuck750ss

[

Keith
[/quote]Keith, do all the bigger Sea Wonder reels have metal spools? I knew some of the later, smaller 2062 spools were changed to plastic.

With all these machinists drilling, slotting, and customizing Penn Spinfishers and some of the larger DAM Quicks I'm surprised they're not doing the same with the bigger Royal Maroons.
[/quote]

My 2081,2091 and 2091-A all are metal.
As to pimping the reels.... millennials have not "discovered " the big Shakespeare's yet. When they do, look out! ;D (don't take that personal. I like looking at what some of those young ones are doing with the Penns)

festus

Quote from: Chuck750ss on March 20, 2018, 01:25:08 AM
My 2081,2091 and 2091-A all are metal.
As to pimping the reels.... millennials have not "discovered " the big Shakespeare's yet. When they do, look out! ;D (don't take that personal. I like looking at what some of those young ones are doing with the Penns)
Yep, most of those pimped out Penns are cool.  Actually much better looking than the Van Staals.

Midway Tommy

I'm a purist so every time I see one of them I cringe, but what the heck, if they're beat up & rashed those guys might as well pretty them up a little and use them. They'll never have any collector value, and neither will repaints. but the fish could care less.  ;)

A lot of people ooh & awe over the Royal Maroons but really their predecessor charcoal gray 2064, 65, 68, 70, 80 & 90s are probably even a little bit better, especially the 2068. It was by far the best spinning reel Shakespeare ever made. The only drawback to the grays was they didn't make an UL. Gray & Maroon spools interchange & both have the 6 disc drag. I've got at least one of each, Grays & Maroons, and there's not a lot of difference until you get to the plastic spools & last version of the Maroons when Shakespeare eventually cheapened them up. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Quote from: oc1 on February 04, 2018, 08:24:50 AM
The Penn 716 can take some pretty extreme stuff.  Dunk it in the ocean, forget to wash it off and it will usually work the same a couple of weeks later.  But, I keep looking at the small DAM, Shakespeare, Alcedo, etc wondering why they wouldn't take the same abuse.  Would anyone care to speculate what their weak link is?
-steve

Good question. Quality anodizing for the penn? Better quality or diffrent type of metal used? Better drainage?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 20, 2018, 03:39:38 AM

A lot of people ooh & awe over the Royal Maroons but really their predecessor charcoal gray 2064, 65, 68, 70, 80 & 90s are probably even a little bit better, especially the 2068. It was by far the best spinning reel Shakespeare ever made. The only drawback to the grays was they didn't make an UL.
Yep, been checking prices on those grey ones for a while, there is one on ebay in mediocre to fair condition for $300. :o

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on March 20, 2018, 03:51:44 PM

A lot of people ooh & awe over the Royal Maroons but really their predecessor charcoal gray 2064, 65, 68, 70, 80 & 90s are probably even a little bit better, especially the 2068. It was by far the best spinning reel Shakespeare ever made. The only drawback to the grays was they didn't make an UL.
Yep, been checking prices on those grey ones for a while, there is one on ebay in mediocre to fair condition for $300. :o

Chester,

You're looking in the wrong places, then. I've never paid over $40 for a gray or maroon NIB. No box, in excellent condition, is usually between $10 & 20 plus shipping & I try to keep shipping around $8 max. Patience is the key. The 2064 & 2065 are the exact same reel, they just changed the last number mid stream.

I've got a salesman sample in a bag that I took apart a couple of years ago to clean and haven't put back together yet.  :o This reminded me that I need to do that one these days.  ;) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

... I've got at least one of each, Grays & Maroons, ....

That's a nice collection, Tommy, of these often overlooked reels.

Frank

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 20, 2018, 04:23:48 PM
Chester,

You're looking in the wrong places, then. I've never paid over $40 for a gray or maroon NIB. No box, in excellent condition, is usually between $10 & 20 plus shipping & I try to keep shipping around $8 max. Patience is the key. The 2064 & 2065 are the exact same reel, they just changed the last number mid stream.

I've got a salesman sample in a bag that I took apart a couple of years ago to clean and haven't put back together yet.  :o This reminded me that I need to do that one these days.  ;)  
Yep, I chuckle at some of these prices.  Last summer I got good deals on Mitchell 300 ($3each), Abu 4600 & 5000 ($8 ea), a couple DAM Quicks for $8, Shimano Bantams for $4, and any reel missing a handle or spool was free at a yard sale.  It took 6 months of looking to find a decent deal on a  DAM 110 and 7 months to find a couple of Shakes 2052.  Slim pickings on vintage reels around here, I have two friends who run tackle stores/bait shops and they're still looking for me.  My sister runs an auction in Knoxville, but every time she send me pics of reels they're usually junk I'm not interested in.

Don't think I've ever seen a schematic for the charcoal Shakespeares.