109 Reel rebuild guide issue

Started by Eddie Hernandez, February 04, 2018, 04:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: handi2 on February 13, 2018, 12:39:17 AM
Eddie did I ever send you those parts??

no Keith it never worked out..maybe next time..

Keith

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: akfish on February 11, 2018, 04:10:33 PM
My guess is this: The line guide for the 9 and 109 are not exactly the same. They look **almost** the same, and you can install either in a 109 (or 9) but the line guide will get hung up on one side if you have the wrong line guide.

Akfish you were right!! I installed a new penn 109 line guide and it works like a charm!!!!!! I was sent a 9 penn guide...thank you!!!

akfish

That's great! I won't tell you how long it took me to figure that out on the first 9 I rebuilt a decade ago...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

oc1

Alto Mare

New one on me Bill, I could tell you that no matter what I tried, I could not get that 9 to work last week. Can't really force them, then you need to deal with the gear as well.
I have 3 new ones of these little guys and 3 use and really like them, after what I went through I was going to sell all of them.
Now, telling which line guide could also be a challenge, unless you have some tricks up your sleeves.
The only way I could tell was to face the wider part of the slats up and count. The 9 has 9 sections and the 109 has 8.
Thanks Bill, great tip!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.