109 Reel rebuild guide issue

Started by Eddie Hernandez, February 04, 2018, 04:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Finally completed a Penn 109,complete disassembly. Only issue I'm having is the line guide is getting hung up on the right side,when i loosen the Lt side bearing the guide moves freely as it should, but there is so much wiggle with the worm and the left.side worm.bearing is  protruding out so far(see photo)  off from the reel, just doesn't seem righ or is it?(tried 3 different pawls,line guide is new,used orginal worm after good cleaning ) I attached some photos of the reel.. I also included a photo of the even before it's overhaul

Best

Ed

foakes

Eddie —

Sometimes the worm isn't seating within the spring bearing adjuster properly — or on either side.

But you need a new worm.

That is why it hangs up on one side.

Check your email — and we will get you squared away.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Eddie Hernandez

Installed  new worm, the guide still gets hung up in the right side  :-\. I have made sure the worm is sitting where it should. I guess the worm is meant to be  adjusted that loosely. So frustrsting!!!! Will never touch a 109 again!!

Keta

You should have a very small amount of thrust (side to side movement), too much and you wear out bearings and the worm shaft.  Clean out the track in the worm and replace the pawl.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Yeah, I rebuilt a 109 recently and spent alot of time adjusting the pawl & line guide/worm & bearing system. I gave up when I got it to function with about 1mm clearence on the tail plate side and just a slight "bump" on the head plate side, that didn't seem to impair reeling function.

The build quality of these, is typical Penn - solid & functional IMO, but not the best for me with no free spool, only the anti-reverse function that leaves it as a knuckle buster. So, I won't continue to play around with it, as long as it works.
Yours came out real nice lookin😮, and probably deserves some TLC to get it workin right.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

akfish

My guess is this: The line guide for the 9 and 109 are not exactly the same. They look **almost** the same, and you can install either in a 109 (or 9) but the line guide will get hung up on one side if you have the wrong line guide.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

festus

I never owned a 109 but have the 9, 209, and 309.  Those pawls, worm gears, and level winds can be a pain.  I usually assemble the line guide, pawl, pawl cover, and worm gear outside the reel first and give it a trial run to see if everything is ok.  Sometimes the worm shield may be slightly bent and cause problems.

mo65

I have a tip here...and I don't know if it is "accepted practice"...but it works. I've had many of these levelwind guides get hung up on one side or the other. You check everything and can't seem to get it right. I looked at that top post, the slotted one, and wondered if I rolled it back and forth, could I find a sweet spot that helped the worm stay on track? Absolutely! Now don't move it too far, one direction will let the line guide fall out of the top post's groove. The other direction will put tension on the line guide if moved too far. Just tweak it. Most times just snugging up the fitment here will do it, although I had one once that was too tight already and causing the trouble. Just noodle around with it. It's easy to do...requires no disassembly! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: akfish on February 11, 2018, 04:10:33 PM
My guess is this: The line guide for the 9 and 109 are not exactly the same. They look **almost** the same, and you can install either in a 109 (or 9) but the line guide will get hung up on one side if you have the wrong line guide.

I think you guessed right!!! I ordered a 109 line assembly!!! fingers crossed..should arrive midweek will keep you posted!!

thorhammer

Quote from: mo65 on February 11, 2018, 05:27:17 PM
   I have a tip here...and I don't know if it is "accepted practice"...but it works. I've had many of these levelwind guides get hung up on one side or the other. You check everything and can't seem to get it right. I looked at that top post, the slotted one, and wondered if I rolled it back and forth, could I find a sweet spot that helped the worm stay on track? Absolutely! Now don't move it too far, one direction will let the line guide fall out of the top post's groove. The other direction will put tension on the line guide if moved too far. Just tweak it. Most times just snugging up the fitment here will do it, although I had one once that was too tight already and causing the trouble. Just noodle around with it. It's easy to do...requires no disassembly! 8)

I have about 53 total 9's, 209, 210, 10, 309's as best i can recollect. If that's not "accepted practice", by me i don't know what is. Sometimes that all it takes to get freespool.

mike1010

That's a great tip.  Thanks.
Mike

Eddie Hernandez

Yes Mike  your are 100% correct with  this approach as i have worked on 4 penn 9 reels this year and this approach did the trick!! But it did not work with the 109 reel, I spent countless hours trying to figure this out with no success.

Gfish

Hope you get it with the new line guide assembly, keep us posted.
According to an old post I remember by So-Cal, lots a saltwater guys'll remove the levelwind system on their favorite reels 'cause they can be so troublesome. I'd assume it has to do load stress dammage and having this type of gear system exposed to debris build-up and needing lots a maintenance attention.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

Eddie did I ever send you those parts??

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Lunker Larry

Came across the same issue. First thing I check now.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?