Fin nor usa 20 trolling reel

Started by jiggawhat, February 05, 2018, 05:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggawhat

Any info on these reels? Drag max and cap.also can i do any upgrades to refresh this reel?its the single speed and has a wooden handle.

thorhammer

I have no info on upgrade but I purchased a 9.5 / 10 cosmetic 12/20 two speed a decade ago for $250, and IMO it is as fine or finest reel ever produced in that class...tremendously overbuilt. my one criticism is that it is so overbuilt in a reel built for sailfishing  / white marlin, that the top crossbar is so massive it's difficult to thumb the spool during a drop back, which is what sailfishing is about to a large degree. But you'll never tear up anything in these reels using 12/20 lines, that's  for sure...it could've been internalized to 25 lbs of drag easiliy IMO

jiggawhat

Would it be possible to use heavier line classes. I Really wanted to use the real for some wahoo mahi  or kings.so trolling 8-10knots So i was thing backing with heavier braid and using a topshot of mono if possible. Just not sure what the line cap is. Private boat if that matter

jiggawhat

Anyone know if this is possible? Maybe with a drag change?

thorhammer

Apparently my reply didn't post. I pull straight 30 mono on mine trolling ballyhoo fir mahi with no issues. I'll check drag when I get a second but I'd think you spool 300yds 59 braid and top with 49 mono with no issue. That ought to give you about 500 yards which should be plenty for your fish

jiggawhat

Quote from: thorhammer on February 06, 2018, 11:05:59 PM
Apparently my reply didn't post. I pull straight 30 mono on mine trolling ballyhoo fir mahi with no issues. I'll check drag when I get a second but I'd think you spool 300yds 59 braid and top with 49 mono with no issue. That ought to give you about 500 yards which should be plenty for your fish

thanks man barely any info out there on fin nor reels and this one isnt even that old. Hopefully the drag is still in good shape . Do you know if the drag is cork? I ordered the reel online and it should be here tomorrow so i can bust it apart and look it over. Thanks again

thorhammer

I can't recal but may be.  Haven't been in there a while. If pinion and thrust bearing upgrades were made this reel could probably fish 80 on the strength of everything else.  Wouldn't sweat 50 or 65 braid

Robert Janssen

Capacity is as per normal for any other 20-lb class offshore trolling reel, ≈600 yds 20 lb mono. YMMV.

These reels are not the same as the older Fin-Nor reels such as the Regal or 12-20FNL. These were made in Asia, late 90s-early 2000s. AFAIK they have a carbon fiber drag, very similar to HT-100.

Here is a picture of a magazine ad from the time. I MIGHT have a schematic.

PS: Just noticed it says, Made in USA in the ad. Yeah, well... so they say. That is not what I think. Whatever.

jiggawhat

well its stamped made in usa on the bottom but i get what you mean...hope the drag is decent and not cork.gonna load it with braid and see what were dealing with

thorhammer

I just fiddled with mine and no idea what it looks like indoors but got a smooth 8-10 without buttoning down. I'd think greasing carbon fiber will help a bit. Yours should have a slightly higher curve to button and allow you to fish 50 braid easily.  Trolling fir hoo and mahi you're not locking anyway or your pull hooks. 

Robert Janssen

Here

thorhammer

Dr. , do you recall who owned FinNor back then? They were acquired at one point by the Trask family holdings but I think that was later. They also had Cape Fear rods at the time, when I lived in Wilmington NC. CFR went OOB when the war hit full swing as the carbon grade they used got fully allocated to the military. Those hextech blanks were great and still very sought after. After that I think they sold the Fin Nor licensing and got out of the tackle bidness. One of the daughters was good friends with my wife; they have a sweet sportfisher down there. A bit off topic but I was wondering how we might find some artifact literature on these.

jiggawhat

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 07, 2018, 02:51:32 PM
Here
thanks thats awesome !!!would it be possible to maybe get a clear pic of the parts numbers as well or a overall pic where the numbers are visible thanks...

Also found this link for mono  line cap....
http://www.chuckhawks.com/saltwater_reels_chart.htm

Robert Janssen

Quote from: jiggawhat
...would it be possible to maybe get a clear pic of the parts numbers as well or a overall pic where the numbers are visible thanks...

Also found this link for mono  line cap....
http://www.chuckhawks.com/saltwater_reels_chart.htm

Yeah, sorry it came out a bit fuzzy. I can scan it properly later today or tomorrow. It is in a big fat binder packed with stuff. I was afraid to open it for fear the room would explode.

That chart is cool.

*EDIT: Added better schematic

handi2

For the trolling use you mentioned you will never need more than 12lbs of drag. Hopefully your reel can do this.

A long lasting smooth drag is what you need and much more important than a higher drag setting. For King Mackeral 8 to 10 lbs is plenty.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL