Removing DAM Quick handles?

Started by akfish, February 06, 2018, 03:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akfish

I have two DAM Quick spinning reels, a 331N and a 220N. I can't remove the handle from either. I'm afraid to apply too much pressure because I don't want to damage anything. Do I just rotate it backwards? Thanks!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

foakes

Hi Bill —

Just punch out the roll pins with a 3/32" punch, block of wood with a hole, and a small hammer.

They key to DAM Quick Servicing and restoration — is to first get the handle off —everything else follows that.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

akfish

Thanks! That did the trick, although I can't imagine why DAM designed the handles that way...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

foakes

Quote from: akfish on February 06, 2018, 04:22:20 PM
Thanks! That did the trick, although I can't imagine why DAM designed the handles that way...

;D ;D ;D

You are right, Bill!

But you got to remember the guys who designed and engineered these reels were the same guys who built watches, M-109's, and Panzers. 

They just transitioned back to fishing reels because they were also anglers.

Straight-forward, over-built, material quality likely twice as much as required to function properly.

Simple, effective, no horizon on their quality and longevity.

If you need any parts for these two — let me know, and I will send them your way — (n/c).

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: akfish on February 06, 2018, 04:22:20 PM

So they don't come loose and end up at the bottom of the lake.  :'(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

I don't like handles that were made to collapse for compact storage.  The mechanism makes for a handle that is less compact and rigid when fishing and it often becomes a troublesome weak link as the reel ages.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Interesting observation, Steve. Of the 400+ old & vintage spinning reel in my collection I've never seen a problem like that in quality reels. Cheaply made reels maybe, but not from the higher quality manufacturers.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Steve, I've experienced what you describe. However of numerous Quick reels that I own or have seen I have not seen the issue with these reels. I do like a handle that doesnt fold but is threaded. Just over all stronger design if done right while still allowing for it to be packed away smaller.

Bill, one of those 2 you have is one of my favorites Quick reels. If you take your time with rebuilding these reels they can in fact come out very smooth & have free cranking handles.