Main Menu

Fluke jig

Started by Eddie Hernandez, February 06, 2018, 04:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Hi All I'm interested in making this rig myself that I purchased, I noticed the metal braid line was only being held with epoxy and was trying to figure out how I could attach the metal braid to the double hook a bit more securely? Any Ideas? I attached some photos

Thanks

Ed

Reel 224

For what it's worth that looks like over kill for a Fluke rig, a double hook is not necessary for one and the wire brad is not either. I would use a single on both 6/0 and tie them with 50-60 mono for sure.

Lou makes very good buck tails to make those rigs.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

we use braid for that. never seen it done with wire

akfish

If you want to continue with the wire -- in case a blue or something similar shows up -- you could crimp the wire to the double hook. Crimps are cheap and easy to use.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tightlines667

Quote from: akfish on February 06, 2018, 05:23:16 PM
If you want to continue with the wire -- in case a blue or something similar shows up -- you could crimp the wire to the double hook. Crimps are cheap and easy to use.

Maybe slip some heat shrink tubing over the double hook shank to secure the feathers, crimps, and mylar?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

Eddie: First of all, where are you located?, and what bait are you going to use? That is important for the rig you are making also.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Eddie Hernandez

Thanks for all the great replies guys very much appreciated!!! On top of the reel fixing bug i recently got the Lure making bug!!! My wife is going to divorce me!!!! Im always in my workshop!!!! and I dont want to come out!!  :D I'm located in Wantagh Long Island, I found these Jigs in a fishing fair and they looked pretty kool to me.
The gentleman selling them said to fish them with a spearing on each of the top hooks and a piece of squid on the bottom hook.

Decker

Quote from: Eddie Hernandez on February 06, 2018, 07:46:33 PM
The gentleman selling them said to fish them with a spearing on each of the top hooks and a piece of squid on the bottom hook.

Spearing and squid --  a "fluke sandwich."

akfish

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Decker

Reel 224

Eddie: If you want to duplicate that jig I would personally use the mono for the trailer hook that I suggested and single 6/0 hooks. Spearing and squid are good bait. Small Squid hole is good for big Fluke and peanut Bunker....................Good luck!

Let us know how you make out...............Joe     

gstours

Seems like an easy fix.  Just run the trailer leader up a little long than the front hook wrap with thread, and bend the leader back down along side, and wrap some more thread or small line over and cover with finger nail polish 💅 or epoxy.   Use a few half hitches when your done with your wrap.   Don't get in trouble asking for the nail polish 🙈

steelfish

looks pretty cool this rig.

I would do what Gary said, but to have it 2x more secure you can criss cross the wire over the two shanks of the double hook once you get to the eye of the hook wrapp it with some cheap 20 or 30# braid line, add few drops of crazy glue or nail polish, then make the bucktail fly, easy peasy.

I will actually do some for myself  ;D ;D

I have some 30, 40 and 60# fishing wire 50yds spools that I havent used in some time, just made some steel leaders for the Sierra Macks and store them again.
The Baja Guy

Eddie Hernandez

thank you Gents!! just ordered some doublehooks!! I actually have some used braid laying around from a few reels i repaired and I swiped my daughters nail polish, and will use it to secure the wire..Any idea to tell from the pic i posted what size wire was used? Steelfish if you make a few take some pics during the process of making them and please post  ;D.  Thank you again!

steelfish

Quote from: Eddie Hernandez on February 09, 2018, 04:35:18 PM
Steelfish if you make a few take some pics during the process of making them and please post  ;D.  Thank you again!

will do, no promess to make them soon cuz Im pretty busy with some fishing rods rebuilds for a friend with charter.
The Baja Guy