Penn 209

Started by handi2, November 17, 2017, 10:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I just got this cherry 209 in trade for some work. I can tell it's never been opened and barely used.

The only problem is the tail plate is broken.

Does anyone have a tail plate in this darker color?

Thanks,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

And it's a left hand reel..!!
Gulf Breeze, FL

Maxed Out

I'll look Keith. I have some 209's sitting around. The lefty tailplate will be a tough find

A lefty 209 has reverse threads on the gear sleeve and star that turns backwards. Never could figure out why they did that.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 17, 2017, 10:42:40 PM
A lefty 209 has reverse threads on the gear sleeve and star that turns backwards. Never could figure out why they did that.
All lefty Penns do this, don't they? I always thought that it was so that whether you were right- or left-handed the drag was increased by pushing the star in the direction the handle is rotated, which is a better way to know which direction you're going when you change the drag mid-fight, as both are a "push" of the thumb to increase drag.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Some models use a left-handed thread on the lefty gear sleeve but most use a right-handed thread. I think it's because of the difficulty of getting certain threads in left-handed threads. For instance I don't think reels with buttras threads are made left-hand threaded.    Rudy

handi2

The Reel surely needs a left hand tail plate. Other than that is in great shape. With a few new chromed parts it will be a shelf queen.
Gulf Breeze, FL

sdlehr

Keith, if it's destined to be a shelf queen why don't you repair the tail plate, or send it to me and I'll do it for you? it looks like someone screwed the side plate tight when the worm wasn't engaged in the worm gear. That's easier to do with a power screwdriver. It's a simple epoxy repair, might even get away with super glue. Happy to do it for you if you like.

it's questionable, but a repair might hold up to normal use if this became a user reel. I'd want to test it first. There are axial forces placed on the worm when the line guide is at it's furthest left and right excursions with the line under load.

Sid
Sid Lehr

handi2

Sid there is a little piece of material missing in that area. The reel has heavy line on it and they probably tightened the worm gear too much trying to slow down a heavy weight.

The screws show no sign of being used.
Gulf Breeze, FL

sundancer

Gents

Old thread and a little bit of a right turn with the question.......

Came back from a fishing flea market today.  While I was there I was looking at a few 209's.

when I was testing them, I noticed that when the Rightside Worm Bearing isn't snug, the Line Guide seems to slip, as though it is on a clutch.

I never noticed this with mine, as I always have mine Bearing snug.

Is this a feature to keep the Levelwind from stripping under load, or a consequence of a loose Assembly?I

Thanks
Steve

sdlehr

Not sure if this helps, but if you loosen the right side worm bearing enough it stalls because the worm pulls out of the worm gear. I have two 209's (for sale!) and when I went to check one I found the same problem you are finding, so I'll dig into it tomorrow sometime and see what is going on. It's not a complicated mechanism, with only an idler gear, worm gear and worm to provide the motion. I'll try to remember to come back tomorrow after I check it out. It's on my bench to remind me tomorrow. It's late here on the east coast.
Sid Lehr