DamQuick 2 speed

Started by Alto Mare, February 07, 2018, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I got this 275 reel for under $50 shipped to me, it was is very bad shape and with parts missing.

The seller mentioned both gears worked, I'm not sure how he could tell, I couldn't get the handle to turn.

At times you will try everything you could possibly try and the part will still not budge

This one needed a careful operation, my goal was not to damage the gear and got lucky

The other parts that I've destroyed I could deal with, those I can get anywhere.

I wanted to post this, I tried soaking, my 1 ton press, Fred's  pin and hummer, heat and vinegar, nothing worked.
No matter how much of an attempt you make, at times it is still never enough.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Man, Sal, that really sucks! Fred will have a spare handle, though.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

bhale1

Sal,
....so, you tried all those methods and they didn't work huh?!...that must have been when you decided to try your 8lb sledgehammer ;D ;)...
Seriously, glad you got that crank off without hurting anything else!
Brett

Alto Mare

It was a delicate operation Tom and Brett ;D,  did not want to loose that gear. The crank nut was also frozen, I had to spilt that as well...as you can see on the pic above.
With the exception of the gears and the crank side plate, I believe I could borrow parts from the 270, all I would need to do is to drill 2 additional holes.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 07, 2018, 11:06:46 PM
It was a delicate operation Tom and Brett ;D,  did not want to loose that gear. The crank nut was also frozen, I had to spilt that as well...as you can see on the pic above.
With the exception of the gears and the crank side plate, I believe I could borrow parts from the 270, all I would need to do is to drill 2 additional holes.

Sal

Sal,
I've got a 270 to donate to your cause.
I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Chad, that is so kind of you, but I already have 6 in great shape that I could borrow. Honestly though, I would like to use as many parts from this reel as I could, just as personal satisfaction ;D

Thanks again Chad.

Sal

xjchad

No Problem Sal  :)
Can't wait to see the rebuild on this!

Shark Hunter

I was eyeballin' that one Sal.
It looked like it had been tampered with, by looking at the screws.
I believe it came from Italy.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

No Daron, this one came from California.
The seller wasn't hiding anything he put it up for $60 I believe,
I aske if I could have it for $40 plus $5 towards shipping and he agreed.
We know how rare these are, grabbing a few parts from it, it will be well  worth the money.

Sali

Shark Hunter

It was definitely a bargain.
I get on the hunt for a few days, and then I forget.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I'm wondering if my buddy Doc could make us something similar so we could make the 706  a 2 speed reel. :)
Nothing complicated on these gears, well now that I've seen what they did. I couldn't believe how simple of a design it is and how flawless it works. They knew what they were doing...

Sal

xjchad

That would be a really cool conversion kit Sal!

Robert Janssen

Well, maybe. I admit to being a little intrigued by the DAM two speed reels. Not particularly familiar with the 706 though.

I do have an ABU 999 three speed reel. That isn't all too complicated either i guess... when you see how it is done.

Part of the fun though, is that these reels were made by their respective one-and-only. Making spin-offs from something else just isn't the same, is it?

Rivverrat

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 09, 2018, 04:20:32 AM
Well, maybe. I admit to being a little intrigued by the DAM two speed reels. Not particularly familiar with the 706 though.

I do have an ABU 999 three speed reel. That isn't all too complicated either i guess... when you see how it is done.

Part of the fun though, is that these reels were made by their respective one-and-only. Making spin-offs from something else just isn't the same, is it?

Sooo if your hinting at at the possibilty you might be up for doing something regarding the Quick 275 2 speed consider me very interested. I've desired for some time to get my hands on one these reels to have a look for myself but life & other things always seem to happen... Jeff

Midway Tommy

There were other multi speed spinning reels manufactured, too. To name a couple, the Zangi 3V (Italy) is the same as the ABU 999, Benora (Swiss) made both a med & large size 2 speed and Sup-Matic (French- that was also sold by South Bend) made a couple different medium size 2 speed reels, including a field conversion kit for one of their single speed models. Benora was more than likely the first in the early '50s, with Sup-Matic second and 3V/999 third in the late '50s. The Dam 275 didn't come along until the early '60s.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)