DamQuick 2 speed

Started by Alto Mare, February 07, 2018, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 09, 2018, 04:20:32 AM
Well, maybe. I admit to being a little intrigued by the DAM two speed reels. Not particularly familiar with the 706 though.

I do have an ABU 999 three speed reel. That isn't all too complicated either i guess... when you see how it is done.

Part of the fun though, is that these reels were made by their respective one-and-only. Making spin-offs from something else just isn't the same, is it?

Doc, I'm glad I got your attention :). I should rephrase my comment, when I said these are not complicated, well maybe to someone as you.
What I meant was that they were able to make it so simple and yet very effective. I give them a lot of credit for what they were able to do.

You are correct on your last comment.

Thank you for always chiming in when I mention your name, it is very much appreciated. I always like to hear what your thoughts are.

Sal

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 09, 2018, 06:17:39 AM
There were other multi speed spinning reels manufactured, too. To name a couple, the Zangi 3V (Italy) is the same as the ABU 999, Benora (Swiss) made both a med & large size 2 speed and Sup-Matic (French- that was also sold by South Bend) made a couple different medium size 2 speed reels, including a field conversion kit for one of their single speed models. Benora was more than likely the first in the early '50s, with Sup-Matic second and 3V/999 third in the late '50s. The Dam 275 didn't come along until the early '60s.   
Thanks for the info Tom.
There was a Daiwa 2 speed on line, but he was asking too much, well to me anyway. The seller was accepting offers, I made him a reasonable one and it bounced right back to me  :).
I do not see that reel anymore, maybe he sold it :-\

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

Ouch.

I looked at that parts spread photo until falling asleep at the computer and still can't figure out how it works.  Put me out of my misery Sal.

Also, a few days ago I said that spinners with handles that collapse for storage cause problems later in life and a more solid connection is better.  Tommy and Riverrat disagreed.  They win.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on February 09, 2018, 08:37:06 PM
Ouch.

I looked at that parts spread photo until falling asleep at the computer and still can't figure out how it works.  Put me out of my misery Sal.

Also, a few days ago I said that spinners with handles that collapse for storage cause problems later in life and a more solid connection is better.  Tommy and Riverrat disagreed.  They win.
-steve

Sorry Sal, but that's really funny, Steve.  :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Ouch.

-steve

Oh no.... I agreed with you I just havent as of yet seen any issue with this on the Quick reels of this vintage.

Alto Mare

Ouch.

I looked at that parts spread photo until falling asleep at the computer and still can't figure out how it works.  Put me out of my misery Sal.

Also, a few days ago I said that spinners with handles that collapse for storage cause problems later in life and a more solid connection is better.  Tommy and Riverrat disagreed.  They win.
-steve
Steve, first off...don't ever tell another man you fell asleep looking at his photos  ::);D.
It is very simple, but keep in mind this reel has parts missing.
Here are the high and low gears

Sorry, I do not have the parts list, so I will call them as I see them.
The post with the pinned tooth on a spring slides in the shaft holding the gears. Pushing that post down will make the tooth engage with the slower gear on one of the four notches you see, pulling on it  will engage with the faster gear.
The drive gear will of course always rotate at one speed as you turn the handle

Here is a better pic of the clutch assembly...very similar to a transmission on a car., it also has an additional gear at the bottom for the anti reverse .

so, turning the handle as you would on any other spinner, you have the added bonus of getting low and high gear just by pushing or pulling on that red knob.
This is a very effective design, we should try to make them possible for some of our favorite spinners.

I really like the Dam Quick reels, but as you've mentioned, I believe that pin on the handle isn't such a great idea.
Maybe one of the reason Penn uses a different design.
Of course I'm dealing with reels that have been neglected, I'm sure with proper care, that pin would not be a problem.

By the way, Fred might have the  schematics and a more detailed explanation on these.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Sal, thanks posting those pics... Jeff

Alto Mare

festus

Very interesting reel.  BTW, what are the two gear ratios for this beast?

Alto Mare

Quote from: festus on February 10, 2018, 02:33:45 AM

Don't have specs, but counting the rotation, I'll say 3.8:1 in High and 2:1 in low.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 10, 2018, 11:01:40 AM

Don't have specs, but counting the rotation, I'll say 3.8:1 in High and 2:1 in low.

No specs here, either, but I get 2.25:1 & 4.1:1.  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Alto Mare

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 10, 2018, 05:44:19 PM

You are correct Tom, I just double checked and was of 2" on the  rotation with the rotor. ;D You adding that .1 in there tells me you read it somewhere, unless you have a  really steady hand ;D...Thank Tom!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 10, 2018, 06:28:25 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 10, 2018, 05:44:19 PM

You are correct Tom, I just double checked and was of 2" on the  rotation with the rotor. ;D You adding that .1 in there tells me you read it somewhere, unless you have a  really steady hand ;D...Thank Tom!

Steady hand.  ;) It made it just past 4 but not that close to 4.25. I have to admit, though, the Sup-Matic high speed is 4.1:1 so it made sense on my count.  :D  There's a little play when it first shifts gears so I'd have to get the teeth meshed appropriately before I started the count.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Rivverrat

Now those are really useful gear ranges for bait. Why in the world we don't see this offered on other 2 speed reels that are mid to smaller size is nuts.

But what people buy is what is made... Jeff

Alto Mare

Chester was kind enough to post the schematic for the Quick Dam Super 275

http://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24387.0;attach=48508

The gear ratio is listed above, along with some other information.
Low gear ratio is 1:2.5 and high gear ratio is 1:4.5

Sal