Milling aluminum with drill press

Started by thorhammer, February 08, 2018, 01:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Regular rape seed oil - vegeatable oil - canola - has worked well for me. I use it for cutting most metals :-\

oc1

All I have is a crappy little Delta bench-top press with the belts and slop.  I've chucked drum sanders into it before, but always feel like the lateral pressure from drum sanding is going to increase spindle/block wear and make the machine even more sloppy when drilling.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Steve - sounds like we have similar low cost taste ;D

Shark Hunter

John,
I know you are capable of making that clamp.
Especially from your Braces, I know you have some skills.
I would wait until Tom comes out with his Chairmen.
I am sure that clamp will be nothing less than ridiculous.
JMO
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

John - If you are going down the holesaw route get one (of the appropriate size ::)) of the cobalt hss bi-metallic ones. If bought individually you will need an arbor.

Something like this:

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/cutting-tools/bi-metal-hss/variable-pitch-bi-metal-hss-holesaws/f/929

Alto Mare

Good advice Mike, it will heat up pretty bad.
Aluminum is pretty soft, but you will still need a good bit.
I did something here, I just wanted to try it and it worked nicely
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23376.msg258074#msg258074
The bit wasn't of good quality, so if I had to do another, I would have a hard time.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Thanks for all who have contributed to answering the question.  My experience is limited to small ( up to 3/8inch fluted carbide end cutters for milling on a drill press.  I use a simple cross feed table or a rotary vice/table.  Aluminum cuts quite easily with out cutting oil,  go slow.  Plastic and Hume and graphite's mill like butter as do penn side plates.    Hole saws are aggressive but may help you rough out your project.
    Sometimes you have to make what money can't buy.   👨‍🔧

thorhammer

Some really good feedback here, thank you Ohana. Mike, thanks for the tip about touching eyes. I'm diligent about wearing safety glasses when doing something like this and will wear disposable gloves now, and when I use belt sander on metal. I have access to an inexpensive DP and was wondering if that could be used. I have used dremel before to create molds but it loads up easily and I will have a fair amount of metal to mill for that. Daron is correct, whatever Tom creates will be the benchmark, and I could just order a stock Penn clamp for $40 and be done. But, I always want to see what the simple person at home can do with basic skill (mine are basic as it gets) and tools. Belt sander and grinder are the most sophisticated things I have. I have a concept, it works I'll have it anodized to match; if not it won't be the first metal scrap I've created. I'll just initial it with dremel engraving bit and call it art, LOL.

Shark Hunter

Yea,
But there is something special about making something with crude tools and your bare hands. ;)
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Keta

A good vice/mill table held down firmly will help but you will still have deflection and chatter.  I hated the mill drill I had access to, now I have a real mill to use.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 09, 2018, 06:52:18 PM
Yea,
But there is something special about making something with crude tools and your bare hands. ;)

My first 100 or so AR dogs were done on a band saw, drill press, bench sander and files, I occasionally do one or 2 special ones that way but it is far better to have them cut.  I still burn and cut my fingers but not nearly as often as before.  When a drill bit catches in a small AR dog I have to hold down with my finger it REALY HURTS, chamfering the hole is not so painful.

If you use canola oil for cutting oil make sure to clean it of the drill press, table and parts, it turns into a "varnish" that is almost as hard to remove as egg goo.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

i usually use ballistol for about everything like that. works well enough.

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Keta on February 09, 2018, 07:26:16 PM
A good vice/mill table held down firmly will help but you will still have deflection and chatter.  I hated the mill drill I had access to, now I have a real mill to use.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 09, 2018, 06:52:18 PM
Yea,

My first 100 or so AR dogs were done on a band saw, drill press, bench sander and files, I occasionally do one or 2 special ones that way but it is far better to have them cut.  I still burn and cut my fingers but not nearly as often as before.  When a drill bit catches in a small AR dog I have to hold down with my finger it REALY HURTS, chamfering the hole is not so painful.

If you use canola oil for cutting oil make sure to clean it of the drill press, table and parts, it turns into a "varnish" that is almost as hard to remove as egg goo.

Yeah,
I used to use canola (rape seed oil) for everything - including my chainsaw - just make sure to clean it afterwards - If left it can set like glue after a few months - otherwise it works ok :-\
I've just started using some specific chainsaw oil - there does seem to be some cutting improvement - early days - and I don't do a lot of bucking/limbing per year - not like Fred ;D
He's ya man for advice on that score ;)

AEM

I'm usually careful to not use a drill press for more than it was intended for after watching an instructor take off 3 fingers in a high school class demonstration. I use mine only for drilling and removing line from a reel with an attachment that I made that acts like a clutch if the line gets tangled.

oc1

Quote from: AEM on February 10, 2018, 02:20:00 AM
instructor take off 3 fingers in a high school class demonstration.
Dang.  That would make an impression.
-steve