Shimano Sidestab 2500 RE spinning reel

Started by BT52, March 28, 2015, 04:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BT52

How do you remove the rear drag assembly on this reel????

Wolli

remove the parts in marked sequence
start with no. 1-4, remove click spring 5, than screw out 6

Good Luck
(i reject such reels for service..... prefer Shimano spinners. they are simple to service)
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

BT52

Thanks, just what I thought but didn't want to destroy the planner. I only service front drag spinners but told an old friend I would take a look at it for him....hate these.

Zimbass

I am not a spinning reel aficionado, as I prefer baitcasting gear.

Have a Sidestab Rear Drag, and confused as to how to remove the drag programmer, RD9400, or 1 on Wolli's schematic.

I've tried squeezing and tugging, huffing and puffing, and afraid to blow the house down !!

Must be a simple method, in picture form, as I'm sure that would be more explanatory.

Thanks for any and all help.

Cheers.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

philaroman

I'm fairly comfortable w/ original '91 Japanese Sidestab/Solstace/Symetre, but that's a completely different animal...

can't fully visualize what's going on from schematic alone, but I would guess that the drag knob (RD-9400) has a lip that bottoms out on the rear cover, before it unscrews completely...  so RD 2934, 9592, 9421 need to come off, first

Tiddlerbasher

I avoid rear drag spinners like the plague - I just can't get on with them :(

philaroman

to be honest, I "cheat" around the rear drag headache when possible & only do a complete tear-down every 2nd or 3rd service...  but mine are much more complex w/ worm-gear oscillation & Fightin'Drag lever

works out OK, if you keep 'em away from salt & sand

Zimbass

Thanks for the responses guys.

I managed to work out that you have to hold the rear of the drag, RD9396 (programmer B1 and B2)  whilst undoing RD9400. As the programmer A loosens, you need to tighten the two part B1 and B2, then tighten A slightly, working both back and forth until the parts eventually release.

Quite a stupid idea, but, once you work it out, it's simple.

Wish I was capable at posting photos or video to show how this works. Suffice to say 2 hours of trial and error worked out !!

Cheers.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.