Oversize screws

Started by reel bob, February 08, 2018, 11:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reel bob

Would anyone have a part # to the oversize screws used for the Charter Special side plates? Called Shimano, they said the only screws they have are the ones in schematic... Thanx

handi2

I would get them at the local hardware store. They will have stainless steel screws to fit.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

Just remeber they will be metric ;) It's a Japanese/Asian reel.

akfish

I used to be able to get oversize screws from Shimano but not for a few years. I often need them because the screw holes in the plastic frame wear out fairly quickly. New frames are expensive.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

George6308

Drill & tap for next larger size. Order new size from McMaster and you are all set.

reel bob

Quote from: George6308 on February 09, 2018, 01:56:35 AM
Drill & tap for next larger size. Order new size from McMaster and you are all set.
Could you be more specific on what I need? Thanx

exp2000

You have a couple of simple options that require no drilling or tapping:

1. Place a splinter of mono-filament line in the original screw hole. Your original screw will work just fine now.

2. Use a regular 3mm stainless machine screw in place of the original tapper.
   You will find that this forms a neat interference fit in the original hole.
~

Wolli

the side plate screws are sheet metal screws and not machine screws.

Cut small stripes from copper or brass und and put 2-3 in the threads and the screws can be tightend firmly.
This is an old trick i use for years to tighten srews in plastic reels.... not necessary to drill and tap oversized threads.

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

exp2000

Quote from: Wolli on February 09, 2018, 03:43:36 AM
the side plate screws are sheet metal screws and not machine screws.

Yes, I am aware of this, which is why I referred to them as "tappers".

This recommendation comes come from a colleague who used a machine screws to solve this very issue:

Quotean update on the Shimano Charter Special end plate screws stripping out; scored some 3mm 316 stainless steel machine screws from the local Yacht hardware. They bind nice and tight with the hard plastic body of the reel and bed down rock solid.

Also mono works just as well as metal strips but it is ubiquitously available and much easier to work with.
~

day0ne

As stated, Shimano used to have the oversized screws, especially for the TLD series. Try asking the reel repair people and not the parts people.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter